CELEBRITY GURU —  Self-made millionaire Russell Simmons has published a second book, ambitiously titled, “Super Rich: A Guide to Having it All.” The star lays down rules for how to gain spiritual wealth.

Hip-hop mogul shows path to enlightenment with new book

Arriving at the Grey Goose Mansion in his signature Yankee cap and Air Force Ones, Russell Simmons sets out to promote his latest book, “Super Rich: A Guide to Having it All,” co-written with Chris Morrow.

Simmons, a hip-hop mogul and co-founder of Def Jam Records is an influential figure in modern business and culture. He believes that many can learn from the work ethic of individuals within the hip-hop industry.

“Super Rich” doesn’t deal with money or material possessions. Instead, it focuses on spiritual wealth and enlightenment.

Simmons is considered an American pioneer. His vision as an entrepreneur has influenced music, fashion and television. His first book, “Do You! 12 Laws to Access the Power in You to Achieve Happiness and Success,” co-authored with Chris Morrow, is a New York Times Bestseller that has received praise from a bevy of critics, among them Oprah Winfrey.

For a man who has it all, his second book is now about needing nothing.

The concept can sound ludicrous but Simmons believes needing nothing is the reason he is wealthy. Finding a passion and then working hard is the key to success, Simmons said.

In a society dominated by materialistic wants, Simmons believes people lose focus in achieving true happiness.

“A lot of people in America don’t realize how much beauty comes from the work itself,” Simmons said. “People are more concerned with the end result. They want to go somewhere fast. Happiness comes from working to do what you love.”

Simmons said the most successful people often start at the bottom.

“All these experiences and successful American stories of hard work are of people who started out sweeping in front of stores, then took over the register and built a chain of stores,” Simmons said.

Simmons, a practicing Yogi and Buddhist, holds spirituality in high regard. The hip-hop mogul says his book describes how to discover the true wealth located in an individual’s consciousness.

“The only benefit in life is to evolve spiritually,” Simmons said. “Success and wealth comes from happiness within. It sounds easy but the noise on the outside separates you from it. Block out the noise and focus.”

Simmons said his guidebook mixes spiritual essence, streets-smarts and corporate thinking that can be helpful to young people starting out in the job market.

“As an intern or starting a job, go in there with a happy, giving spirit. Good givers are great getters,” Simmons said.

With the unemployment rate still hovering above 9 percent, Simmons urges college students not to be fearful.

“The anxiety isn’t helpful in achieving the things you think you want,” Simmons said. “And to be fearless means living in the moment. So operate with the freedom of needing nothing. Choose to be a hard worker. These practices are a way to clear the mind of clutter so that you can see that truth.”

“Super Rich” is available at a bookstore near you.