The Eagle's guide to Hanukkah

The Eagle wishes everyone a Happy Hanukkah. Check out our Dec. 7 issue for more holiday-related stories.

Drunken Dreidel

This 21-and-up twist on the classic spinning top game requires multiple players, a dreidel and the players’ choice of alcohol.

In traditional dreidel, children usually play for gold, foil-covered chocolate coins called “gelt.” Players spin the four-sided top and perform one of four actions based on the side the dreidel lands on.

For Drunken Dreidel, the rules are only slightly different.

The four symbols on the sides of the dreidel are actually Hebrew letters that represent different Yiddish words.

The letter nun represents “nisht,” which means “nothing.” If the top falls with this side facing up, the player’s liver is safe.

The letter shin means “shtel,” which is Yiddish for “put in.” Usually a child adds a piece of gelt to the pot, but for Drunken Dreidel the spinner should take a shot.

Hey represents the Yiddish word for “half.” In standard dreidel, this means that the player takes half of the pot. For this edition of the game, “hey” means “heaven,” and all players should immediately stand up. The last person to rise should hang his head in shame while he and everyone on his half of the circle drinks.

Finally, gimmel stands for “ganz,” or “everything.” When a player lands on gimmel, everyone drinks!

L’chaim! Remember to play this game responsibly, and not on AU’s campus!

Latkes

The older cousin of hash browns, latkes are a Hanukkah tradition loved by Jews and gentiles alike. Potatoes are shredded and fried in patties, then served hot and crispy with applesauce and sour cream.

Here are some local businesses that sell Latkes:

Uptown Deli 7905 Norfolk Ave., Bethesda, Md. $4.50 per plate If placing an order for the holiday, prices are $1.49 per latke or $16.95 per dozen. Make sure to check their special Hanukkah menu for other treats as well.

Star and Shamrock Tavern & Deli 1341 H St., NE $6.50 per plate

Café Mozart 1331 H St., NW $6.95 per plate

Dorm-safe Menorahs

Because AU policy prohibits lighting candles in the dorms, celebrating Hanukkah with a menorah requires some creativity.

One option is to display an electric menorah in your window.

For the Festival of Lights on a college budget, CVS sells small, plastic, battery-operated menorahs for around $5. More interactive candle lighters can buy a menorah window poster, sold on improvementscatalog.com for $9.99. The poster includes stickers to cover the flames so you can “light” a candle each night by removing the sticker.

If you feel your holiday won’t be the same without the traditional candles, go ahead and light them – but make sure it’s outside.

Hanukkah events

Hanukkah on the Ellipse Dec. 1 4 p.m. 1600 Constitution Ave., NW

Washington will begin the Festival of Lights by lighting the National Menorah at the White House Ellipse.

Free tickets can be reserved through www.afldc.org or by calling 202-332-5600.

JEWMONGOUS Hanukkah Party Dec. 4 9 p.m. 600 I St., NW

Sixth and I Historic Synagogue will celebrate Hanukkah with ex-Rockapella performer Sean Altman and his comedy concert, “JEWMONGOUS,” described by the synagogue’s website as “an unkosher blend of song, humor, pop culture and all things Jewish.”

Tickets are $20 and can be reserved by calling 877-435-9849. Attendees must be 18 to enter the event and 21 to drink.