Michelle Kirk during a game last month against Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

Michelle Kirk leaves women's basketball team

Senior Michelle Kirk has left the women’s basketball team “for personal reasons," according to a press release from the AU Athletics Department. Kirk’s name has been removed from the roster on the AU Athletics website. In the release, Director of Athletics and Recreation Keith Gill said, “The University supports Michelle’s decision and we wish her the best as she continues her studies at AU.”

The established leader of the team, last season she was named Patriot League Player of the Year and helped lead the team to a Patriot League Championship as she averaged 13.8 points and five rebounds per game. Kirk has scored an impressive 1,223 points in her AU career. She had reportedly left sometime over Thanksgiving break. She leaves the team after helping turn it into a consistent contender in the conference. “Michelle helped build our program,” Head Coach Matt Corkery said in the release. “She worked hard to raise our level of play and we appreciate her many contributions.”

slindauer@theeagleonline.com