D.C. winter treats and where to eat

Winter in D.C. always brings the promise of crisp air, fluffy snow and frosted windows.

But don’t let the chilly Washington weather get you down, the best comfort food is just around the corner. If you’re hanging around town this December or January, be sure to check out these cozy comfort food stars and the best cup of hot chocolate in the city.

Bistro Du Coin Where: 1738 Connecticut Ave. NW Metro: Dupont Circle (red line) Price: $8 for a steaming cup of French onion soup and $17 for a large portion of steamed mussels

The traditional French fare includes Coq au Vin, steak and frites and Moules Provençales (steamed mussels with white wine, tomato and Provençal herbs). Be sure to try the boeuf bourguignon, a beef stew with red wine and mushrooms, and the tartine Parisienne, a delicious open-faced sandwich with French ham, melted Gruyère cheese and a creamy Béchamel sauce.

The Diner Where: 2453 18th St. NW Metro: Woodley Park–Zoo/Adams Morgan (red line) Price: $5 for an original grilled cheese sandwich and $6 for a stack of three fluffy pancakes

While The Eagle has sung the praises of this Adams Morgan gem before, The Diner has to be mentioned when it comes to comfort food. Open 24 hours, seven days a week, The Diner offers the best breakfast, burgers and milkshakes in town. Cozy up to a breakfast sampler like the Diner Royale or the Original Deluxe grilled cheese sandwich, with cheddar, tomato and crispy bacon.

Loeb’s Deli Where: 1712 I St. NW Metro: Farragut West (blue and orange lines) Price: Between $6 and $9 for a classic New York deli sandwich

For a sandwich and soup lover, Loeb’s Deli is a prime lunch spot on a windy day. When it opens again in its new location in late December, be sure to try a steaming cup of Matzo ball soup and the Madison Avenue sandwich, piled high with roast beef, Munster cheese, coleslaw and Russian dressing.

Ooh’s and Aah’s Where: 1005 U St. NW Metro: U St/African-American Civil War Memorial/Cardozo (green and yellow lines) Price: $5 for a large portion of macaroni and cheese and $4 for a slice of homemade peach cobbler.

While Georgia Browns may be better known for their upscale take on soul food, Ooh’s and Aah’s offers the cheapest and best southern comfort food in DC. Much like Ben’s Chili Bowl, Ooh’s and Aah’s is the epitome of a dive. Don’t let that hold you back, though, and order a catfish sandwich with a side of collard greens and macaroni and cheese.

Churreria Madrid Where: 2505 Champlain St. NW Metro: Woodley Park–Zoo/Adams Morgan (red line) Price: $3 for a dozen churros and one great cup of hot chocolate

It was particularly difficult for this writer to narrow down to just one pick for the best hot chocolate in D.C., but Churreria Madrid takes home the prize for its incredible churros and hot chocolate. The churros are piping hot, covered in sugar and cinnamon, and pair perfectly with the cup of rich, molten hot chocolate. Trust us, this is one calorie-fest that you must have while living in Washington.

kholliday@theeagleonline.com