A farewell to American University

This will be my final column as an opinion writer for The Eagle. In this space, I’ve argued for drug liberalization, urban renewal projects, and a greater focus on our long-term fiscal health. I discussed the importance of living within one’s means, lamented our dysfunctional political system, and criticized our incoherent foreign policy.

What I never wrote much about was American University, and for that, I’m sorry. I know that I wasn’t your first, second, or even third destination when you wanted to read a view of the political scene.

I also apologize to those who were looking for more partisanship and found my writing muddled in the middle. Actually, I take that back. I can’t stand fringe politics, Left or Right. Ideological polarization is tearing this country apart. Regardless, if you ever stumbled across my column, I do hope that you found my thoughts insightful, temperate, and, above all, reasonable.

However, I want to devote my parting words not to opinion or policy, but to everyone and everything that made American University special during my years here. When I submit my senior thesis next week, I will conclude a journey that began in August 2007. Less than three and a half years later, I can proudly say that I wouldn’t trade any of it for the world.

So here’s to you, AU:

To the Letts third floor of 2007-2008, where I spent countless nights in the South side lounge and started friendships that will last a lifetime.

To Letts’ sixth floor sky lounge, where residents know not to enter if the lights are off and the two couches are pushed together. Trust me, stay away.

To Centennial Hall, where sophomores go to pretend that they are moving up in the world and where I fell in love.

To the four knuckleheads that I chose as roommates for the last few years, thanks for all the nonsense and the endless laughter.

To the Terrace Dining Room, where I’m an endangered species: a senior in a sea of freshmen and sophomores. To the most underrated cafeteria on campus, thank you for feeding me.

To the men’s basketball team, for winning back-to-back Patriot League crowns in 2008 and 2009. Facing the fourth-seeded Villanova Wildcats in the opening round of the 2009 NCAA tournament, the 13-seeded Eagles played unconscious basketball for more than half of the game. AU led by as many as 14 and held a 10-point lead with under 13 minutes to play. It was some of most inspired basketball I’ve ever seen. Somewhere, Garrison Carr is still knocking down 25-foot jumpers.

To the now-defunct School of International Service pit, I miss your character and sheer depth. In all seriousness, it’s been exciting to watch this campus develop since 2007. The new SIS building and the Kogod School of Business addition are helping to put this university on the map. It will be interesting to see how the administration transforms the Nebraska Parking Lot in the coming decade.

To Professor Cynthia Bair Van Dam, whose College Writing Seminar on the Politics of Education drove me to be a better writer.

To Professor Robert Johnson, who showed me the distressing reality of our prison system and altered my stance on the death penalty.

To Professor Alan Kraut, whose masterful lectures on the Civil War made me want to put down my pen and just listen. His oratory skills were that powerful.

To three School of Communication professors, Rick Horowitz, Lynne Perri, and Rodger Streitmatter, who deepened my passion for journalism and media studies.

To Professor Leonard Steinhorn, my Honors Capstone advisor, whose tremendous insight and guidance have proven invaluable.

To everyone at the American University Career Center, from Elaine Salisbury to Bridget O’Connell to Lara Ferraiolo to Chris Hughes to Susan Gordon—you’ve all been integral parts of my professional growth and career exploration process. It’s going to be hard to let go.

To The Eagle, thank you for giving me a voice and granting me a platform.

Farewell, AU. I couldn’t have asked for anything more.

Michael Stubel is a senior in the School of Public Affairs and the School of Communication and a moderate Republican columnist.