HALLOW\'S EVE – Transport numbers are highest early in the year and over Halloween weekend, according to Robert Hradsky.

‘Drink or treat’ leads to holiday transports

At least four students spent parts of Halloween weekend in hospital

Four students were transported from AU to Sibley Memorial Hospital this Halloween weekend for intoxication, the same number as last Halloween.

Hradsky said Halloween is a big time for parties that often encourage overconsumption of alcohol.

“People take on a different persona,” Hradsky said.

The first few weeks of school also have a high number of transports. In August 2009, nine students were taken to Sibley. This August, five students were transported.

The beginning of the year usually brings more freshmen to the emergency room, according to Dr. Jennifer Abele, Sibley’s director of emergency services. However, over the rest of the year she sees students from a more even spread of classes.

“I don’t think that students always realize that people can die from drinking too much alcohol,” Abele said. “We can always tell when there’s a big party on campus.”

Hradsky said there were fewer transports at the beginning of this year than previous years, but the numbers are starting to increase in recent weeks.

There have been 26 students transported this semester, as of Nov. 4. There were 21 transports within the same time period last year.

However, these numbers only show students transported from AU. Abele said other students come from off campus and are not reflected in Hradsky’s numbers.

Students who are transported must meet with Kate DiEmidio, AU’s health educator on alcohol and other drugs, to discuss what led them to drink so much.

Abele said that once students wake up in the hospital, removed from the party environment, they realize how much it has impacted them — especially if they don’t remember what happened.

The first time students are transported, the incident will not go on their disciplinary record. If they are transported a second time, however, they are in violation of the Student Conduct Code and must meet with a hearing officer.

Hradsky said he only remembers two cases last year when a student was transported more than once.

Students are encouraged to tell their parents first, Hradsky said. However, if the student is a minor, Hradsky must call the parents in the middle of the night, which he had to do over Halloween weekend.

Abele said that the students coming to the emergency room need the medical attention.

“We don’t want people to be afraid of coming to the emergency department,” she said. “When people are calling and they’re coming in, they’re coming in appropriately.”

Last year, Hradsky’s office implemented a new online program called AlcoholEdu for College that all new undergraduates must complete. The program features videos, quizzes and questionnaires about students’ alcohol consumption and knowledge.

Hradsky said that two-thirds of students that had completed the program reported they changed their behavior as a result.

AU isn’t preaching a “don’t drink” message to students, Hradsky said.

“If you choose to drink, do so responsibly,” he said.

sdazio@theeagleonline.com