Deer Tick bites Black Cat with fun, unforgettable D.C. show

When Deer Tick played the Black Cat last week, there was something about the sound that reverberated through the room, the lightheartedness of the band and the energy of the crowd that made the show extraordinary.

The Providence, R.I.-based band made a splash with their first two albums, “War Elephant" and “Born on Flag Day.” Their growly country sound booked them on tours with Neko Case and Jenny Lewis, and even got a boost from NBC News anchor Brian Williams on his music podcast.

Deer Tick walked on stage looking like they just wanted to have a good time. And with each member armed with their instruments and a beer, everyone knew that was exactly what they were setting out to do.

The magic started when they played the first song, “These Old Shoes.” The fun everyone expected was there, but there was also a mysterious underlying element of something else. At first, it seemed like it came from lead singer John McCauley’s voice, which was both reminiscent of gritty old country folk and newer rock ‘n’ roll. His voice was pure, tormented and almost growling at times, as he gave the music an entirely new vibe from the album and an emotion that made the songs earnest and intriguing.

The band’s stage mannerisms also prove that the boys themselves are charming. When drummer Dennis Ryan came to the front of the stage to sing backup for a song by rhythm guitarist and singer Ian O’Neil, his shyness was endearing as well as the way the band supported him.

In addition to the charisma they displayed, they maintained a beautiful chemistry. Deer Tick is a family of musicians that work well together and have fun doing it. When O’Neil took to the mic for “Hope is Big,” the precision in timing, the smiles between band members, the electric 50’s rock sound and the punctuated drum combined with the almost psychedelic keyboard proved that these boys were meant to play together.

They ended the set with “Mange,” off their new album, “The Black Dirt Sessions.” They stretched out the song as if they weren’t ready for the night to be over. Each member of the band played to their fullest and engrossed themselves into the song — bassist Chris Ryan started dancing as keyboardist and saxophonist Rob Crowell appeared hypnotized, closing his eyes, tilting his head to the ceiling and losing himself in the music. To wrap up the night, they played a powerful encore with a cover of Ritchie Valens’ “La Bamba.”