Burgers go gourmet at D.C. ‘Good Stuff Eatery’

SCENE SAYS: Top Chef Alum turns American classics into delicious delicacies.

As a restaurant that boasts farm-fresh ingredients and commitment to “freshness, fellowship and friendliness”, D.C.’s Good Stuff Eatery is poised to become one of the city’s best burger joints.

Launched in July 2008 by Spike Mendelsohn, fifth runner-up on season four of “Top Chef,” the Good Stuff Eatery offers original handcrafted burgers, wedge salads, hand-cut french fries and handspun milkshakes.

Nestled on a trendy block on Capitol Hill (its neighbors include Hawk ‘n’ Dove and Eastern Market), the Good Stuff Eatery and its fedora-clad owner seamlessly fit in with the hipster community. The crowded sidewalk in front of the restaurant almost always hosts a long line of young food enthusiasts, hoping to catch a glimpse of Mendelsohn flipping a few burgers on the grill and taste some of the best milkshakes in town.

The burgers are the obvious stars of the menu, with 14 varieties to choose from. Mendelsohn uses only natural farm-raised beef for his burger patties, which are a yummy blend of short ribs and brisket cuts, and the vegetable toppings are as fresh and crisp.

Must try menu items include:

• The classic farmhouse burger is topped with the above ingredients and Good Stuff special sauce, but definitely try one of the Original Burgers.

• Colletti’s Smokehouse, the eatery’s most popular pick, is topped with mouth-watering Applewood-smoked bacon, sharp Vermont cheddar, fried Vidalia onion petals and chipotle BBQ sauce.

• The Prez Obama, is topped with red onion marmalade and horseradish mayo

• Michelle’s Melt is piled high with red tomatoes and fresh herb mayonnaise, an homage to her White House vegetable garden.

Other mouthwatering menu items include Spike’s Sunny Side. Highly recommended for breakfast lovers, the dish has fresh American cheese, crispy bacon and a fried egg sandwiched between two sweet potato buns. It’s pure burger heaven, albeit with a lot of napkins. Not a beef eater? Any one of Good Stuff’s burgers can be substituted for a farm-raised chicken breast.

While french fries are usually considered to be second fiddle to the burger, the fries at Good Stuff are in a different league. They’re small, crispy nuggets of double-fried deliciousness, and are even better when drenched in one of the mayo dipping sauces. The chipotle and Sriracha hot chili sauce mayos are the best, and pair perfectly with a burger too. If you’re in the mood for something on the lighter side, try one of Mendelsohn’s wedges. The classic is topped with fried onion straws and blue cheese, while the ensalada features Manzanilla olives and roasted corn.

But it’s really all about the milkshakes. Like an Oreo needs a tall glass of milk, a burger and fries meal doesn’t feel complete without a delicious milkshake. Try the best and most popular one on the menu, the Toasted Marshmallow. It’s thick and sweet and might send you into a diabetic coma, but its enough to bring back memories of toasting ‘mallows around the campfire.

The D-Lechable Leche is saved from sweetness-overload by a dollop of Greek yogurt, and the Soursop Hop Strawberry is pucker-inducing.

Be prepared to wait in line, which is usually wrapped around the block, and see the occasional Congressmen or celebrity (this writer was lucky enough to catch a glimpse of First Lady Michelle Obama and the First Daughters next door at We the Pizza, Mendelsohn’s latest culinary endeavor). Ultimately, the Good Stuff won’t leave your wallet full, but the slightly overpriced menu is way worth the wait and cost.