Banter, opening bands brighten Monday night at 9:30 club

Tonight the 9:30 played host to three international acts that brought wonderful performances and a huge dose of energy.

Normally many dread standing through two hours of warm up acts to get to the real meat and potatoes of the night, in this case: Frightened Rabbit. But tonight it was a pleasure to see the performances of The Phantom Band hailing from Scotland, and Quebec’s Plants and Animals. After the former delivered an amazing performance that audience members deemed “trance-like,” the Canadian group brought the same level of enthusiasm to their performance — essentially what can best be described as really solid indie-rock. Both bands are worth the time and energy it would take to become acquainted with them.

Of course Frightened Rabbit was the reason most were at the 9:30 club on this blustery fall eve, and the show did not disappoint.

The Scot-pop-rock band fronted by Scott Hutchison began the show with one of their most beloved songs, “The Modern Leper,” setting the tone for what would be an hour and a half of up-beat yet pained songs, each emotionally wailed by Hutchison.

The audience was quickly transformed from a bunch of 18-20 –somethings in vintage blazers and flannel, into the kind of lot one would imagine exists in a romanticized version of a Scottish pub, feet stomping and hands clapping, singing tunes of past lovers. Hutchinson played all of the favorites off of Midnight Organ Flight and their newest album The Winter of Mixed Drinks, some highlights being “Backwards Walk,” “Good Arms Versus Bad,” “ Poke” and “Living Color."

The greatest treat of the night, however, was the charming banter between Hutchinson and his loyal fans. He joked between songs, took requests, swigged beers and shared stories, creating a supreme sense of warmth in the venue to couple with his songs of heartbreak.

For those who have not yet heard Frightened Rabbit, please do so immediately. They are emotionally nuanced, infectiously catchy and wonderfully Scottish. What more could one ask for?