American remake of ‘Skins’ might fail to capture British original’s superior acting, dramatics

I love British television. The day I discovered BBC America was a legendary step forward for my television experience.

Apparently American television executives love British television just as much as I do.

The network executives and producers have this terrible habit: they decide to remake perfectly good British shows for American audiences with mixed results. For some reason, producers in the U.S. feel that every good show created on the BBC simply needs to be remade.

I blame the popularity of “The Office” for this trend, although Americans did remake some British shows previously.

As is common in Hollywood, other networks will inevitably try to replicate the results in order to make more money. Currently, there is an American remake of the British series “Skins” in development, and I have no moral qualms with mercilessly judging it based on the one-and-a-half minute-long trailer that has been released.

The original “Skins” is amazing. It is a deliberately over-the-top teen drama that doles out more drugs, sex, swearing and insane parties than I have seen on any other show in the U.S.

“Skins” is also unique in that the writers let their teens grow up. The show switches casts every two seasons when the kids graduate. This helps to keep the storylines fresh.

Based on the trailer, the U.S. version seems to be line-for-line identical reproduction of the original series, only this time it includes terrible acting. I see no reason to remake the show if they are just going to do the exact same thing with American accents.

I don’t see the point of making another version of a popular show that is still on the air.

The British version even has a movie on the way. The American remake seems like a cheap ploy by MTV to capitalize on the success of the superb original.

Maybe the show will surprise me. I would be shockingly pleased if the U.S. version of “Skins” manages to be anywhere near as great as the original. The U.S. version of “The Office” used the original’s pilot script for their first episode, but it quickly found its own identity with creative scripts and quirky characters. If the “Skins” writers decide to go that route, it might have a shot at being a decent show.

One point in its favor is that the creators of the original series are involved in the remake.

As long as the writers don’t neglect the British version, I am hoping they put a lot of effort into the new show. The more the creators are involved, the happier I will be.

“Skins” does not premiere until January, but don’t fret. This means you all have tons of time to catch up on the British version while I shamelessly ridicule any new footage that MTV releases.