Life in England is great but ... where can I find the Saltines?

LONDON — When considering the world at large, certain places definitely have a more “intense” reputation than others. Populations in some Third World countries struggle on a daily basis just to find clean water and accessible food. In other areas, there are extreme language barriers for native English speakers.

These stereotypes are often mentioned when it comes to study abroad. It has been said that if you want a “soft” abroad experience, go to Europe, especially Western Europe. Want an “actual” or “intense” experience? Trek to rural China, the Middle East or a South American jungle.

I have now spent two weeks in London, a city considered to be a “soft” abroad choice by some. English is the native language here and traveling to the United Kingdom doesn’t require any vaccinations. Regardless, I can confidently debunk those preconceived notions that living in some foreign countries are “easy.”

I am by no means belittling the experiences of those who choose to study in countries with more day-to-day danger or more primitive living conditions. However, no matter where you relocate yourself to — Asia, Africa, Europe, South America or even somewhere else in North America — adjustment takes time, a never-ending amount of patience and a good sense of humor.

There are challenges and frustrations wherever you chose to study abroad. Moving to a new country is hard. Every day while abroad I think of more and more things I take for granted at home. The United States is big on convenience. Europe is not.

Take getting to my room, for instance. First I have to go through another building, walk up two flights of stairs, go outside and then walk up five more flights of stairs. This was particularly enjoyable while lugging my two fifty pound suitcases when I moved in.

Soon after I arrived I needed a plug adapter in order to charge my laptop. It was an early Sunday evening and every single store was closed. Since my computer had run out of battery previously, there was no way to try to set up the Internet and check to see other store locations. Alas, in an attempt to disconnect from the world while abroad, I had left my Blackberry in the states.

When I had food poisoning (another frequent fun perk of living abroad) all I wanted were Saltines. In the states I could walk into any drug store, some even open 24 hours a day, and without a doubt find Saltines. In London, no such luck.

Though I definitely have moments where I would love to hop in my car and know exactly where I am going, walk into a Target or eat American Halloween candy, at the same time I am realizing how much convenience actually hinders us. I am glad that moving to London has not been easy.

Every day I make mistakes, get frustrated and then usually laugh about it. Every day I also learn more and more about my new city, a new culture and myself. I am coming to understand that things in the States can be too easy sometimes. Moreover, many of us are so privileged in our lives at home in America that if we want something, we can not only get it but get it quickly.

Living abroad in a “soft” country or not, takes you out of your comfort zone. It teaches you lessons you could never learn in a classroom in D.C. While some everyday struggles are as simple as finding an open grocery store, for others abroad it can be as complicated as speaking Arabic. In either case, the decision to move abroad and away from the familiar is one of the greatest learning experiences imaginable.