Undergraduate Senate approves new election handbook, increasing spending limits

Correction Appended

Debate ensued at the Undergraduate Senate meeting Sunday concerning the campaign spending limits in the newly amended and approved Election Policy Handbook.

Anthony Dunham, the chairman of the Board of Elections, presented the handbook, which included a controversial rise in spending limits for senators, class councils and executives.

This rise in spending reflects the 18.87 percent rise of inflation since the handbook limits were last set.

The new limits put the spending limit at $60 — up from $50 — for senators and class council members, and $300 — up from $250 — for executive positions.

“The past seven years, I believe that more technology, more abilities for creativity, the advent of oriental trading, things that actually used to further your campaign — those of course cost more,” Dunham said. “So while I don’t believe we need to make it into a race for money- I do believe it is crucial that Board of elections try to free up as much possibility for creativity as possible.”

Other senators were unsure whether raising spending limits would be beneficial to candidates.

Taylor Yeates, the newly appointed senator of the class of 2013, expressed his concern over the matter.

“I don’t like the increase in spending in executive races,” he said. “I love the $250 number [for executives]. It keeps the campaigns from getting out of control. We want to keep this so people can run.”

“I don’t want to see people fundraising to run for Student Government," he added. "I want to see people running based on the merits of who they are."

Chief of Staff Phil Cardarella shared his experience in working in an executive campaign last year.

“If you don’t get lucky sometimes, you’re going to run out of money,” Cardarella said about executive spending limits. “I like the idea of being able to be more creative. I think that’s what’s going to bring voters.”

Despite the debate, the overall handbook was approved with a vote of 12-2-0. Adam Daniel Wayman, a class of 2012 senator and chairman of the Elections Oversight Committee, encouraged the other senators to speak to the committee with concerns and amendment proposals.

Dunham maintained his support of the handbook and increase of spending limits.

“We don’t want to control with a type of ‘iron-curtain’ type of election,” he said. “We want to have an election in which people are free to be creative, free to be the emerging politicians they want to be.”

amooney@theeagleonline.com

Correction: An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that Adam Daniel Wayman was a member of the Board of Elections. Wayman is chairman of the Elections Oversight Committee. This version has been corrected.