Tips, tricks for finding economical eateries in the District

Domino’s, McDonald’s, Mayflower, Subway, the occasional Chipotle … sound like regular dinner options? On the few nights that you decide to forgo a meal swipe and not eat in the Terrace Dining Room or the Tavern, you should make it special.

Now, of course you’re going to say, “We’re all college students and none of us can really afford a nice meal in D.C., so what’s the point?” But that doesn’t mean there aren’t some quality restaurants in D.C. to try out and cheap tricks to get the most food for your money. There’s no reason we shouldn’t go out, enjoy great food and try new things just because our wallets are a bit light.

Tip 1: Stay away from Georgetown for a nice meal. It’s pretty hard to eat there without having your credit card burst into flames. Save those meals for the nights your parents come to visit. (We all know it’s not hard to get your parents to take you out for dinner when they come to see you. Just bat your eyes and tell them you haven’t had a “real meal” in ages.)

Tip 2: Always ask for a student discount. A surprising amount of places give college students (or just AU students) a great discount. If you’re a bit more organized, you can sign up for a website like restaurant.com or buywithme.com where you can buy gift certificates for certain restaurants for much cheaper prices.

Tip 3: Google! Simply Google the restaurant you want to visit to see if there’s a deal. You can bring up coupons on your iPhone (or any other kind of smartphone) while in the restaurant and receive the online discount. Some restaurants will also send you discounts if you “like” them on Facebook or follow them on Twitter.

So now that complaining about your relentless budget isn’t as much of a problem, it’s time to start exploring. We live in a huge city with endless possibilities for great food. You don’t have to resign yourself to eat a foot-long sandwich from Subway. Take the time to look for discounts and plan trips to restaurants with great portions and options to stretch your dollar.