Old Town offers quaint getaway full of delicious desserts and dining

It’s hard to imagine that a town that offers great food, unique boutiques and an incredible waterfront is just several (OK, 15) Metro stops from AU, but Alexandria’s historic Old Town is just the place. Merely minutes away from the King Street blue line Metro stop, there is a bevy of quaint cafés and bakeries to satisfy the hungriest foodie and enough boutiques to fill the shopaholic’s fashion quota of the month. If you have a free Saturday before finals, be sure to check out these can’t-miss destinations in Old Town Alexandria:

The Sugar Cube

210 North Lee St.

This northern Virginia confectionary boasts some of the best sweets around town. Located several blocks from King Street, The Sugar Cube offers customers a wide variety of artisan truffles, classic buttercream and caramel chocolates, candy-coated chocolate morsels in every color imaginable and even a selection of nostalgic candies like pop rocks and candy cigarettes.

Faccia Luna Trattoria

823 S. Washington St.

If you can’t afford a vacation to Italy, Faccia Luna Trattoria in Old Town may be the next best thing. Started in 1996 by two fraternity brothers at Penn State University, Faccia Luna offers customers a wide selection of wood-fired pizzas, pastas and salads that rival a true Italian trattoria. Don’t miss one of the 14 different options of pizza: from the Carclofl with artichoke hearts and roasted red peppers to the classic Margherita with tomato, basil and mozzarella, there’s something for everyone at Faccia Luna’s.

La Cuisine

323 Cameron St.

Despite its small size, the La Cuisine shop has been Alexandria’s go-to resource for cookware for over 35 years. Any amateur or professional cook will find some culinary treasure in this tiny store, with an amazing collection of copper cookware, cookbooks, unique pastas, French linens, and a wall full of sprinkles and cake toppings for the baker.

Alexandria Cupcake

1022 King St.

Though it only opened in January 2010, Alexandria Cupcake in Old Town has already found its place in D.C.’s cupcake heart of hearts. Priding itself on using only the freshest ingredients like European sweet cream butter and organic eggs, Alexandria Cupcake offers daily flavors such as dark chocolate, vanilla bean and red velvet, and occasional special flavors like rosewater and mint chocolate. Be prepared to pay Georgetown Cupcake prices, though — the going rate for a great cupcake in the D.C. metro area is still $3.  

Bittersweet

823 King St.

After feeding the greater Alexandria area for over 27 years, Bittersweet has become the go-to sandwich, coffee and baked good café in Old Town. Offering a full bakery, café, hot buffet bar and now a catering service, Bittersweet specializes in toasted paninis, hearty sandwiches and an array of sweet treats. Don’t miss unique offerings like the heart-shaped sweet potato biscuits, Cran-lemonade and “The Giant Cupcake” for a whopping $25.

Art Craft

132 King St.

Looking to spruce up a new apartment or drab dorm room? Then head to Art Craft, perhaps the coolest source of home furnishings and handcrafted gifts in the D.C. metro area. Sampling work from over 500 artists from around the country, Art Craft offers unique ceramics and glasswork, jewelry, wall art, hand-painted furniture, and even green and recycled artwork. Prices can be stiff, but most pieces are one-of-a-kind and well worth the purchase — if you have the money.

Bumblefish

631 King St.

Dieters needn’t be wary: Bumblefish offers a different kind of fast food. It succeeds in its mission to provide the public with healthier and tastier neo-Asian sushi on the go by abstaining from grills, deep fryers and heat lamps. Each of the 50 menu options is prepared daily using only fresh ingredients and is low-calorie, low-carb or low-cholesterol. Color-coded and divided into three parts, the Bumblefish menu offers something for everyone: “Veggie,” for the obvious vegetable lover, “cooked,” for the “sushi virgin,” and “raw” for expert sushi eaters.

kholliday@theeagleonline.com