Five must-have albums for new go-go listeners

It’s a sad fact that even for D.C. natives, the genre of go-go is still very much a well-kept secret in the 40 years of its musical history. The vibrant blend of percussion-heavy funk and R&B as epitomized in local legends such as Chuck Brown & The Soul Searchers commands a large following in popular clubs. While it may not enjoy the commercial success of the many subgenres it would later influence, go-go can still be enjoyed by party-goers and busybodies alike.

As part of The Eagle’s ongoing coverage of one of D.C.’s most important cultural contributions, here’s a list of some of the greatest go-go albums from the District’s finest.

Any Other Way To Go?

by Chuck Brown & The Soul Searchers

An unequivocal classic and necessity for go-go newbies. Released in the late ‘80s during the peak of go-go’s popularity, this album captured all the jive and energy that made the D.C. club scene great. What better way to dabble in a new genre than to start with one of its pioneers, Chuck Brown, affectionately named the “godfather of go-go” by fans. Brown wanted to create a sound that got the whole club moving and dancing to the beat, and if this album is proof, saying he was able to achieve that throughout his musical career is a vast understatement.

“Family Affair” and “Midnight Sun” are fan favorites, demonstrating go-go’s hallmark crowd participation, a technique known as call-and-response. While the sounds would later evolve, the songs remain timeless, and Brown still has the capacity to energize a crowd at shows in his old age.

Drop The Bomb

by Trouble Funk

While they were able to pull off nationwide tours in the late ‘80s, Trouble Funk, as it went for most go-go bands, remained largely popular solely in the D.C.-metro area. Popular songs include “Pump Me Up” and “Hey Fellas,” both of which invigorate listeners. They were able to elevate the go-go sound by making it like a workout, and the sheer intensity of their performances is palpable through their tracks. Much to the delight of go-go fans, Trouble Funk still plays regular shows in the Virginia area.

We Go On and On

by Rare Essence

The 12-member band started off as an after-school group activity between four childhood friends, first covering popular funk acts and then moving on to develop their own go-go sound in the ‘70s. Much like Trouble Funk, they do their best to stay active in the music scene, playing almost every night of the week at a number of venues. The unadulterated tribal sound of early go-go is most evident in tracks like “Overnight Scenario” and “Freaks.” Just try and ignore the addictive percussion as it beckons you to move to the beat.

The Recipe

by Mambo Sauce

This newer generation go-go band is already making strides since their formation in 2007. To bolster their animated go-go beats and make their music more flavorful, Mambo Sauce takes the genre in a new direction by throwing in elements of hip-hop and soul. As arguably one of the only existing go-go bands to form within the last few years, Mambo Sauce appeals to our generation not only because the sound itself is more fine-tuned to match contemporary tastes, but also because the production quality is a cut above most go-go albums. With their extremely popular tracks “Welcome to D.C.” and “Miracles” getting regular radio airplay, Mambo Sauce is helping go-go make it back into the mainstream. Old-school fans are willing to call the Mambo Sauce sound a subgenre of go-go in and of itself, an idea that is sometimes met with leery skepticism by genre die-hards.

Livin’ Large

by E.U.

Formally known as Experience Unlimited, this group proved to be successful enough to secure a record deal with Virgin Records and go touring in countries like Germany and Japan. Their story, by now, is not an uncommon one; they rose to fame in the 1980s as hip-hop became the voice of the generation. With frontman and rapper Sugar Bear at the helm, the group blew up with the release of “Livin’ Large.” Among many other songs, “Taste of Your Love” was what put them on the map as well as “Shake Your Thang,” a collaboration with Salt-n-Pepa. E.U. was one of the early go-go bands to incorporate hip-hop and R&B, a facet of the genre that would stick for years to come.

scho@theeagleonline.com