On A SENSUAL NOTE — AU’s all-male a cappella group, On A Sensual Note, was one of three vocals-only groups to take the stage in front of a packed audience at Kay Spiritual Center last Friday, Sept. 3. All-female group Treble in Paradise and co-ed singers Dime-A-Dozen also shared the stage, putting a unique spin on current pop hits and old standards.

AU a cappella groups prove old favorites still draw student crowds

Here’s an uncontroversial statement: A cappella is popular. Very popular. On university campuses all over the country it continues to be a draw long after the collegiate tradition began. And if you went to the A Cappella 2010 Preview concert last Friday, Sept. 3, it’s easy to see why.

All three of American University’s a cappella groups, On a Sensual Note, Treble in Paradise and Dime-A-Dozen performed a handful of songs for an eager audience, showcasing the year to come but also appealing to possible new members. Lean and full of energy, the show was light on banter and heavy on the music itself, packing more than 10 precise and honed songs into a finely tuned 45-minute show.

The performance showcased what each group does best. On a Sensual Note played up the showmanship, dancing and goading audience members into clapping along. Clearly playing to be the crowd favorite, they mixed and matched old doo-wop hits with a Lady Gaga medley for a unique tone. Dime-A-Dozen used their co-ed group to great effect, playing with complex harmonies on songs like “Change” and “Viva la Vida.” And Treble in Paradise showed off some of the best solo singing of the night, with each lead providing a powerful voice.

A cappella’s focus is always on the voices, but one could see the effort the groups had put into their showmanship. Though actual crowd interaction was limited due to the short running time of the show, the individuals went all out to connect with the crowd in other ways. Sometimes the show could feel like a conversation, the effort of the performers enhanced by the enthusiasm of the crowd.

The audience was packed into the Kay Spiritual Center to see the show. Each pew seat was filled, and other people ringed around the outside of the main room. In the reception room, people craned over one another to see in through the door or windows. Each group clearly had its section of fans; hardly three minutes could go by without someone shouting a name at the stage, and the performers reveled in it. It’s easy to see the appeal; it feels like less a performance and more of a back and forth where all parties are there to have a good time.

Of course, fun wasn’t the only reason for the show. All three groups are recruiting for the new year to replace graduates. The show was a way to put themselves out there, convincing the crowd that it really is as much fun as it seems. The groups took advantage, directly recruiting people for tryouts for the coming week while their interest was piqued.

The process from there gets more difficult. Each group has dozens of people to audition for only a few spots apiece. The competition surely means that the groups will remain at the top of their game, but it may be intimidating for those would-be singers who are looking for a low-key outlet. Still, the skill is there, and the groups have no problem attracting talent.

mrichardson@theeagleonline.com