FASHION FORWARD — Despite the beginning of a new school year, some students refuse to sacrifice their fashion sensibilities for comfort on busy days. Zeina Boustani, Dom Ferguson, Raven Jones, Jessie Golaszewski and Perri Haynes are a few of the students who put their best foot forward everyday, no matter what’s on their agenda.

AU students buck trends, bring style back to school

In the midst of a brand new school year, there are a few AU students who refuse to sacrifice fashion for schoolwork. They prefer to do both by allowing their personalities to shine through their signature styles, all while stylishly toting their overpriced textbooks.

The Eagle took to AU’s campus to find five of the most stylish students who managed to rise above the collegiate uniform of sweatpants and a stained T-shirt. These students shared their thoughts about campus fashion and how to stay chic.

Raven Jones, a junior in the School of Communication, resident assistant on Tenley Campus and a member of Delta Sigma Theta, said fashion is a way to express yourself.

“We are all different people from different places and it’s a great way to express where you’re from and the different influences you have in your life,” she said.

While the most politically active school in the country has highly ambitious students who manage internships, outstanding GPAs and social activities, many feel that AU students need to make a conscientious effort to occasionally get dressed for school.

“When you go to class in a sweatpants and T-shirt, you don’t look presentable or ready to work,” said Dom Ferguson, a junior in the Kogod School of Business. “If you look like you’re ready for work, you will be ready to work.”

Jessie Golaszewski, a junior in Kogod, shared a similar thought. “Everyone should always feel comfortable about the clothes they’re wearing, but at the same time they should look presentable,” he said. “It gives you confidence. If I come to class looking nice, I feel better and it makes my day run smoother.”

The AU students who have achieved their signature style believe that following trends does not make an individual stylish.

“Being fashionable doesn’t mean spending a bundle of money or spending hours in the mirror,” said Perri Haynes, a sophomore in SOC. “Style and taste is innate.”

All of the students felt that style should be a reflection of an individual’s personality.

“I don’t believe in fashion. I believe in style,” Golaszewski said. “Style is timeless. It is important to find what works with you. Go for something that is classic. Don’t give in to what is fashionable because what is in now will be out tomorrow.”

Another student said that her inspiration comes from the places she has been.

“I really love to travel,” said Zeina Boustani, a senior in the School of International Service. “I take a bit of everywhere I go and I incorporate the local culture and the local style. Stay away from trendy things and stay true to yourself.”

Ferguson feels that not all trends are bad to follow but it is important to put a personal take on it.

“People should go on fashion blogs, but not to copy them,” he said. “Look for patterns, colors and outfits that you would like and fits you best.”

A general consensus among some students is that fashion should be experimental and fun.

“When I was 11, I used to use scissors to cut out my shirts,” Haynes said. “People should just go with how they feel, and when you look good, you feel good.”

All five students share similar and different takes on style and fashion. Most of them share a taste in high and low style. This is a concept where shoppers incorporate mixing high-end designer items with cheaper pieces.

“I love Marc Jacobs, Jeremy Scott and Chanel, and I love Urban Outfitters,” Jones said. “One day I wear preppy outfits, and the next I am wearing bright colors. My style changes with my mood.”

Golaszewski said his German heritage influences his style.

“I like the European style and classic Americana,” he said.

Ferguson referred to his style as presentable street chic.

“My fall essentials are a blazer, thin ties and ankle suede boots, and black and white colors are timeless,” he said.

For these five students, fashion is here to stay and they are ready to shake up the campus with their bold and unique style.