LADIES’ NIGHT — After an 11-year hiatus, the Lilith Fair has returned to promote female artists everywhere and raise money for various charities. Everyone from Tegan and Sara to Ke$ha will be taking the stage.

Lilith’s fair ladies take girl power on U.S. tour

As summer approaches, music fans everywhere are itching to get tickets to the hottest upcoming festivals. But for those out there who are looking for a bit more girl power, get your tickets to the Lilith Fair.

Founded by Grammy-award winning singer Sarah McLachlan (who you might also recognize from those utterly depressing animal welfare commercials), Lilith Fair is a touring festival headlined by only female or female-led groups and musicians. After a successful run for three years in the late ‘90s, the Lilith Fair is back for the summer of 2010.

The idea of the Lilith Fair was born when Sarah McLachlan got frustrated at a festival where she was performing. The planners were hesitant to bill two female performers in a row, an act that infuriated the “Angel” singer. So how did she exract revenge? She created an all-female fest in 1996, using her clout to attract some of the biggest female names in music to come perform. Much like Ozzfest is the mecca for metalheads, the Lilith Fair is the place to be for feminist music-lovers.

But this event is more than just a slap in the face of misogyny. It’s also a successful charity event. For the three years that it ran in the ‘90s, the fair managed to raise $10 million for national and local charities. It was one of the highest-grossing touring festivals, with millions of fans in attendance. This goes to show the power that a festival can have, besides bringing music to the masses.

With a wide range of low-profile indie artists, like soothing chanteuse Cat Power to platinum pop divas like Texan powerhouse Kelly Clarkson (both of whom are performing this year), the fair caters to all the thousands of fans attending the touring festival.

Unlike some of the staple festivals like Bonnaroo or Coachella that are two to three-day sleepovers, Lilith Fair moves from city to city in order to give all fans a chance to see their favorite female acts. As of right now, 35 cities all across America and a few dates in Canada have been announced, with D.C. slated for a later summer date. Performers change according to location, so each show is different from the next. In one city, fans can expect to see artists like La Roux, Colbie Caillat and Sheryl Crow, while in other cities, fans can see Erykah Badu, Sugarland and Brandi Carlile. The only consistency is Sarah McLachlan herself performing at each of these dates.

The Quin twins, known professionally as Tegan and Sara, are slated to perform for most of the tour dates. In addition, riot rockers Gossip are in the lineup. For those who like slower songs, jazzy songstress Norah Jones is on the bill, as is British singer Corinne Bailey Rae. The fair manages to cater to all age groups as well, since classic rockers Heart are performing while Disney cutie Selena Gomez is also on the bill. And for those who just want to dance, party animal Ke$ha has just been added to the mix. The eclectic range of performers makes it a must-see for female fans everywhere.

For more information on this estrogen-filled festival, lilithfair.com has all the locations and performers. Tickets just started to go on sale so check out the site to see if the fair is coming to a venue close to you this summer. Chivalry may be dead, but feminism is alive and well, and this is damn sure the place to celebrate it.

You can reach this staff writer at ydesta@theeagleonline.com.