Kristen Stewart, Dakota Fanning play punk icons in wild 'Runaways'

"The Runaways" Grade: B+

Based on Cherie Currie’s autobiography “Neon Angels,” the film “The Runaways” tells the story of the formation of the first all-girl rock ‘n’ roll band to reach worldwide success, The Runaways.

The film mainly focuses on Cherie Currie, the lead singer, and Joan Jett, the creator and guitarist of the band.

The opening scene of the film quickly grabs the viewer’s attention. The viewer is emerged into the 1970s through the authentic apparel, cars and locations, but also into the lives of two young teen girls who are craving to be something more. Jett is a wild girl with a guitar who is tired of not being taken seriously, and 15-year-old Currie dreams of rocking the stage like Bowie someday. Jett decides to take action by telling androgynous, small-time band manager Tom Fowley that she wants to start an all-girl rock band. Fowley pairs Jett up with Lita Ford, a drummer, and shortly after Currie enters the picture. Currie goes from being booed off the stage of her high school talent show to becoming the front woman of The Runaways. The five-girl line-up — Cherie Currie, Joan Jett, Micki Steele, Lita Ford and Jackie Fox — hit the road touring the United States and Japan. But many complications arise: Currie cannot balance fame and her dysfunctional family, and jealousy and Fowley’s antics dismantle the band.

The actors’ performances are quite frankly what make the film. Kristen Stewart is perfect as Joan Jett. Her real life, nervous demeanor aids in the portrayal of her character, an independent rocker chick who is unsure of herself. The always-versatile Dakota Fanning makes you believe she is Cherie Currie, a young girl trying to be a woman. But it is Michael Shannon’s performance as Tom Fowley that steals the show. His portrayal of a crazy manger who makes money by exploiting the talent of these young girls is authentic.

“The Runaways” is a wild ride of fame, youth, self-destruction and determination, but leaves the viewer wanting more. First-time film director Floria Sigismondi tells their story in an intriguing way because she makes the movie very reminiscent of previous innovative and edgy music videos. Her film tackles major themes such as drug abuse, alcoholism and teen angst in a graceful, artistic manner that gives a clear message: fame is not for everybody.

“The Runaways” falls short in the areas of character development and lack of substantial dialogue. A viewer wants to know more about the backgrounds of essential characters like Joan Jett and Tom Fowley. Luckily, Sigismondi’s refreshing cast makes up for what was not written on the page and really makes what’s on screen count. Nonetheless, the film provides a general overview of the rise and fall of The Runaways that is entertaining and telling.

“The Runaways” is now playing in select D.C. theaters.

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.