Thursday, May 2, 2024
SUPER FLY— “Kick-Ass” is director Matthew Vaughn’s fresh take on the summer superhero genre.  The story centers around Dave Lizewski, who creates a super alter ego after being robbed at a comic book store.

'Kick-Ass’ changes superhero stereotypes

"Kick-Ass" Grade: A-

A radioactive spider bit Peter Parker, Clark Kent was an alien and Dave Lizewski was robbed. Based on the comic book series by Mark Miller, “Kick-Ass” is one superhero film that provides a cynical but more realistic take on exactly what it takes for an average person to step up and be extraordinary.

Lizewski (Aaron Johnson) is an average teenage boy who likes to hang with his boys, Marty and Todd, at the local comic book shop. After talking with Marty and Todd, he poses the question, “Why has no one ever tried to be a superhero?” His friends’ response? “Because they would get their ass kicked.” Soon after, Dave and Todd are robbed when leaving the shop and, even though someone witnesses it, nothing is done. Dave decides to take action by ordering a green wetsuit off the Internet and become a super alter ego: Kick-Ass.

Johnson, a British actor who played John Lennon in the independent film “Nowhere Boy,” played his most recognizable role in the 2008 television movie “Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging.” But even though he may not have an extensive filmography, he will be well on his way, as his performance in “Kick-Ass” is top notch.

Kick-Ass starts to train himself and get his ass kicked — a lot — but one night, he proves quite successful and saves a man from being killed. His heroic deed ends up on YouTube and Kick-Ass becomes a media sensation. Meanwhile, big time gangster Frank D’ Amico (whose geeky son Chris, played by Christopher Mintz-Plasse, best known as McLovin from “Superbad,” is trying to follow in his footsteps) runs into some problems, namely a caped crusader who messes with his drug deals and kills his men. Mintz-Plasse’s performance is commendable; he is very funny, but does not get a lot of screen time.

Seeing Kick-Ass on the news and in the paper causes D’Amico to believe it is Kick-Ass interfering with his business, and he puts a hit out on him. Kick-Ass, not knowing D’Amico is after him, goes on a personal mission to protect his crush, Katie, from a criminal ex-boyfriend. Kick-Ass ends up outnumbered, and just when you think he has seen the last of his days, another superhero, Hit-Girl — played by 13-year-old Chloe Moretz and a badass in every sense of the word — comes to his rescue.

Hit-Girl is one eleven-year-old you do not want to mess with - she’s fast, great with knives and witty. She and her father, Big Daddy (played by Nicolas Cage with an Adam West in “Batman” accent), keep tabs on Kick-Ass due to his recent popularity. Chris soon becomes Red Mist, with the intent of capturing his father’s enemy, and befriends Kick-Ass. The entanglement of all these characters leads to an amazing climax riddled with fight sequences and hilarious one-liners.

“Kick-Ass” is a refreshing superhero flick that makes you laugh, cringe from violence and somehow wish it would never end. What makes the film so unique is that it pushes boundaries. It’s not your typical PG-13 superhero movie with big names — it’s filled with no names and rated R. Director Matthew Vaughn (“Stardust,” “Layer Cake”) manages to display a new type of superhero that is wimpy, rather than tough and brooding, but also still makes you root for him. The film’s comedic timing allows it be graphically violent and pull from many typical themes found in superhero films like organized crime, police corruption and death in an original manner.

“Kick-Ass,” much like “Watchmen,” focuses on how superheroes are not all inherently good and can be just as flawed as villains. “Vigilante justice” is a term used in the film as a way to categorize what a superhero truly is.

If superhero movies are your thing, you like to laugh a lot and don’t mind graphic violence then “Kick-Ass” will certainly entertain you. The film opens this Friday.

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.