Dance/Metro DC discovers ‘Dance is the Answer’

Events offer sampling of styles to city

Do you love watching different types of dance? Have you always wanted to go outside your comfort zone and try a hip-hop or African dance class? Then “Dance is the Answer,” simply put, is the answer for you.

Presented by Dance/Metro DC, “Dance is the Answer” is a 17-day special event that started April 15 and runs through May 2. In its fourth year, “Dance is the Answer” features numerous performances, classes, lectures and workshops around the District, Maryland and Northern Virginia. The event presents the perfect opportunity to add a bit more dance to your life, whether you’re a dancer or not.

Dance/Metro DC’s “‘Dance Is The Answer,’ [was] created in 2007 and held during National Dance Week, [and] creates a heightened awareness of dance and movement activities in the D.C. Metro area,” according to the event’s Web site.

The event is held with the hope of inspiring and informing the D.C. community about the different types of dance the city offers and explains how one can take advantage of performances, and classes. Beyond local companies, “Dance is the Answer” also attracts national and international performers.

“Dance is the Answer” showcases more than 100 companies, venues and artists including the Washington Ballet, the American Dance Institute and Choreographers Collaboration Project among many more, according to the event’s Web site.

This coming weekend is jam-packed with diverse workshops and productions that are sure to attract a broad range of dance enthusiasts. Some of the classes offered this weekend include beginner ballet, Vegas jazz, Bollywood fusion and belly dancing.

Montgomery College’s Rockville Campus will be hosting the Montgomery College Spring Dance Concert on April 23. A swing dance party will take place April 24 at Glen Echo Park’s Spanish Ballroom in Glen Echo, Md.

Though some events and classes are free, the costs can vary depending on the venue. If you plan on checking out more than a few aspects of “Dance is the Answer,” look into buying a DancePass. These passes offer special discounts not only for “Answer” events, but also for other dance-oriented events throughout the rest of the year.

For more information about “Dance is the Answer,” including complete listings and locations of shows, classes and workshops, visit www.danceistheanswer.org or call 202-779-1190.

You can reach this staff writer at ostitilis@theeagleonline.com.