DC FilmFest brings international flair to the District

Starting April 15, the 24th annual Filmfest DC will bring culture en masse to the District, with over 80 premieres of international films taking place in theaters across the city.

Filmfest DC, Washington, D.C.’s international film festival, will run for 10 days through April 25, and in addition to the films, the festival will spotlight over 20 international producers and directors who will hold discussions and sit on panels discussing their films, according to the festival’s Web site.

“Since its inception in 1987, Filmfest DC has become one of Washington’s major cultural events, enhancing the artistic profile of the nation’s capital both domestically and internationally,” a festival press release said. “Filmfest DC is a District-wide event, bringing together the city’s major cultural institutions in a spirit of cooperation and celebration.”

Filmfest DC will take place at various theaters throughout the District, including Regal Cinema Gallery Place, The Avalon Theatre, The Goethe-Institut Washington and Landmark’s E Street Cinema, with opening night at AMC Mazza Gallerie.

“Over the years, Filmfest DC has introduced hundreds of international films to the District of Columbia and scores of filmmakers have shared their insights with us,” Festival Director Tony Gittens said in a Filmfest DC press release. “This year, you will find many of our films are light-hearted and humorous, which is much needed in these difficult times.”

Some particularly noteworthy films include “Hipsters” and “Soul Kitchen.” “Hipsters,” a musical based in Russia, will be shown on the festival’s opening night.

“‘Hipsters’ has been described as ‘Swing Kids’ meets ‘Hairspray,’ bursting with razzle, dazzle and rhythm. The music and the dancing in the film are spectacular, “beautifully and intricately choreographed and bursting with color,” according to the festival’s Web site.

“Soul Kitchen” opens on the closing night of Filmfest DC and tells the story of Zinos, a restaurant owner who decides to add an aphrodisiac to some of the menus desserts when his restaurant is facing failure, and the changes that follow that choice.

The festival will also have certain themes and highlight films of particular geographic regions. “Bel Cinema!” will feature new Italian films such as “I am Love” and “Puccini and the Girl,” as well as have discussions with directors like Paulo Benvenuti and Paulo Baroni. Other themes include “Justice Matters,” which focuses on films involving social justice issues. The theme “Short Cuts” highlights eight short films.

The festival features a vast array of international films with such a selection that even the pickiest of viewers should find something to their liking. Anthony Kakoyannis, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences, said he thinks Filmfest DC looks like fun, and he plans to try to see at least one film.

“There are so many films that look really interesting, and with showings at so many different nearby theatres I’m sure I will be able to get a chance to check it out,” he said.

Tickets for the screenings are $10 with the exception of opening night, which is $40 as it includes the cost of the after-party. Tickets for the shows can be purchased online at tickets.com or at theaters an hour before each screening. For more information, as well as a complete listing of all screenings and corresponding events, visit www.filmfestdc.org.

You can reach this staff writer at ostitilis@theeagleonline.com.