Reasons to watch AU women’s B-ball

March has arrived, and now it’s time for basketball teams across the country to lay it all on the line in the hopes of competing for national fame. For the AU women’s basketball team, the NCAA tournament is just three games away. This year’s team has more potential than ever before to clinch AU’s first women’s Patriot League Championship after finishing 13-1 in conference play, the best in school history.

Let’s take a look at a few of the many reasons the Eagles could soar through the Patriot League tournament and why AU should pay attention.

10: The Eagles earned an A+ in chemistry this season

Both on and off the court, the Eagles have fun together. Although this might appear to be a trivial strength compared to statistical achievements, Assistant Coach Latonya Watson sees a change in team dynamics between last season and this one. She said it has helped generate wins this season.

The team’s bond will play a large factor in tournament games at the College of Holy Cross, because there will be a lack of red, white and blue in the stands. Watson said the team will persevere because of its unity, and the fact that they are each others’ biggest supporters.

9: Everything gets better with age

The thriving AU women’s basketball program effectively hides the fact that all five coaching staff members have only been together for two seasons.

Watson said the coaching staff is trying to build a strong foundation for the program and that it is a major reason for their success this year.

The benefits of growing together last season have been enormous. One notable achievements is Head Coach Matt Corkery earning the title of Patriot League Coach of the Year after leading his team to a 13-1 conference record, tied for best in the league.

Along side their coaches, Watson said the players learned and matured because of last year’s fresh start.

“We are more veteran than we are young because our juniors and sophomores got a lot of playing experience last year,” Watson said. “They understand the system a lot more this year.”

One can only envision the future strength of the team after seeing the results of two seasons together.

8: The best offense is a good defense

Despite the phrase being cliché, Corkery cannot stress enough that defense wins games. Luckily, his team has the one of the best defenses in the conference.

This season the Eagles led the Patriot League in blocked shots per game and ranked second in defensive rebounds per game, steals and a host of other statistics.

Corkery said defensive strength should never be overlooked and will play a dominant role in the tournament.

“We take pride in our defense,” Corkery said. “Late in the year if you can defend and if you can rebound I think you can win games.”

7: Stepping up to the line

One thing often overlooked is the fact that free throws decide ball games.

Hanging on to win close games is not a problem for AU. The women are ranked 24th in the nation and lead the conference in free throw percentage with 75.1 percent.

When AU players get to the line, Corkery said they are confident and comfortable.

Stand out free throw shooters include junior Liz Leer, with a career 82.5 percent and Kirk with 79.4 percent.

6: Nobody has swagger like AU

A winning conference record transformed the women’s team in one way that Corkery says cannot be taught: it has given his players confidence.

“I think we have a confident team, and when we step on the floor, we expect to do well,” Corkery said. “I don’t think you can place too high of value on that.”

Kirk believes the team’s confidence should not be confused with arrogance. Rather, the women are prepared for their opponents.

“We are not overconfident,” Kirk said. “We are just ready to play.”

5: The deeper down the bench you go, the better it gets

The Eagles unanimously agree that their depth sets them apart from competition.

“I think we have a number of people that can step up and be that third option,” Corkery said. “If we can get three players in double figures on any night, then I think we are tough to guard.”

Watson said players who come off the bench contribute at both ends of the court.

As starters pick up fouls in heated tournament contests, the team is confident that its bench will deliver its share of support.

4: Return of the masters

Showing their teammates the ropes this season are seniors Ohema Nyanin and Nicole Ryan. The two athletes faced unique situations this season, with Nyanin returning from gap year and Ryan sitting out most of the season because of a torn Achilles tendon during non-conference play.

However, Corkery is quick to point to the leadership of the seniors both on and off the court.

Corkery said Nyanin acts as “kind of a mother goose for the team.” Despite taking a year off, Corkery said she returned strong.

Ryan has also exceeded expectations. Corkery and Watson have been impressed by her wisdom as a leader and her ability to relay information to teammates.

Although they play different roles on the team, Nyanin and Ryan’s contributions have not gone unnoticed on the scoreboard and in the hearts of their teammates. With one last shot at the Patriot League title, it is unlikely these two seniors will lose speed now.

3: AU’s personal Wonder Woman

Standing tall at 6-foot-2, junior Liz Leer has proven to be double the trouble for AU opponents. On both the offensive and defensive ends, Leer has established herself as a threat.

Leer leads the Patriot League in blocked shots per game, and she holds the most blocked shots in AU history at 164. Leer’s teammates can count on her to deliver at the line and she is less than 100 buckets away from joining teammate Michelle Kirk in the 1000-point club.

Along with Kirk, Leer was named to the All-Patriot League First Team. The honors mark the first time in program history that two student-athletes have been named to the Patriot League First Team.

2: She grabs nothing but net

Junior Michelle Kirk is the driving force behind her team’s offense.

She was named the Patriot League Player of the Year and is part of AU’s elite list of female players who have scored over 1000 career points. On top of that, she leads the Patriot League with an average of 18.1 points per game.

Bouncing back from a self-professed disappointing freshman season, Kirk spent this year breaking school and Patriot League records. She is now the most sought-after guard in the league and is sure to face extra defensive pressure during the tournament. Even with all of that, fans should still expect to see her name leading the team in points per game.

1: The great protectors

The team only plays better as time goes on, especially when it is steadily ticking away in the second half.

AU is 15-1 when leading at halftime and has won all its games when they lead with five minutes left in the contest.

However, Corkery and Watson are quick to caution that tournament play is like starting a new season.

“It is more physical; it is more competitive, and there is a lot more on the line,” Corkery said. “It’s a whole different ball game.”

Season statistics reveal that the Eagles are effective at protecting their lead, and it is unlikely that the women will let their guard down in the tournament.

You can reach this writer at sports@theeagleonline.com.