Mariners to be dark horse in American League West

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim have dominated the American League West for the last few years, winning five of the last six AL West titles. Will they continue their dominance? Let’s take a look at the West and see.

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

The Angels are still the team to beat in the AL West this season, but that’s not to say there aren’t some cracks in the armor of the reigning division champs. For the Angels, it looks as though the losses heavily outweigh the gains this offseason. The most notable names to come off the Angels’ payroll are starting pitcher John Lackey, infielder Chone Figgins and Designated Hitter Vlad Guerrero.

The Angels still have a fairly solid lineup based around Kendry Morales, who had a breakout season last year bashing 34 homers and driving in over 100 RBIs. Along with Morales, the team will bring back outfielders Juan Rivera and Torii Hunter. Both of them provide most of the team’s power along with newly-signed designated hitter, Hideki Matsui.

Los Angeles’ starting staff remains solid despite losing Lackey. They still have a capable top three in Jered Weaver, Joe Saunders and Ervin Santana. The bullpen is led by closer Brian Fuentes, who racked up a ton of saves last season, but blew a fair number of games. It will be interesting to see if the team can continue to be on top despite losing their key players.

Texas Rangers

The Texas Rangers have made big strides in becoming a more complete team. In other words, they seem to have wised up to the fact that they can’t just hit their way to the top. The team is looking younger, and there is more of a focus on young starters that should help the team compete. Texas’ staff is made up of pitchers who are all under 30 years old. This is a good sign for the Rangers, who have spent years avoiding what separates playoff contenders from World Series contenders.

The calling card for the Rangers the last decade has been their offense. This year is no different, as they will field one of the most potent lineups in the AL. There is no shortage of power on the team since they have Ian Kinsler, Michael Young, Josh Hamilton and Nelson Cruz making up the heart of their lineup. Catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia and first baseman Chris Davis have shown some power but have had problems staying healthy and consistent.

Another bright spot in their lineup comes from the person who has almost no power, Elvis Andrus. The young shortstop finished second to A’s pitcher Andrew Bailey in the Rookie of the Year voting, as he displayed great defensive skills and a knack for stealing bases. Andrus should be a mainstay at shortstop for years to come. The Rangers have also bolstered their bench with the signing of veteran Guerrero, who should provide some right-handed power off the bench. Texas’ success hinges on young starters, which may not bode well for this season.

Seattle Mariners

The Mariners are the most improved team in the West, and one of the most improved teams in baseball thanks to Cliff Lee. The former Cy Young winner came over to the Mariners in the same blockbuster deal that sent Roy Halladay to the Phillies. Lee gives Seattle a rotation to be feared in a short playoff series. Their top two pitchers are Lee and Felix Hernandez, one of the best young pitchers in baseball. It’s hard to believe Hernandez is still only 23-years-old.

Seattle’s back end of the rotation will not be as strong, with pitchers like Ian Snell. Those top starters better be as great as they have been in the past, because the lineup is very light on power. This is a team that is more focused on speed and defense. The top of the order is stilled manned by Ichiro Suzuki, one of the most complete players in the game. Chone Figgins, who came over from the Angels, will likely follow him in the lineup. The two need to get on base in order for the Mariners to have a chance to score many runs, because the likes of Jose Lopez and an old Ken Griffey Jr. may not be enough to get it done. Regardless of how many home runs the Mariners are hitting this year, they should be an interesting team to watch, since they can make a run at the division.

Oakland Athletics

Remember when everyone bought into “Billy-ball‚“ and the A’s were going to win the division with a miniscule payroll? Well, those days seem long gone. In typical Billy Beane fashion, the team is based around a young core of players who take their walks and have some power. But this year’s lineup looks particularly barren. The team will look to outfielder Jack Cust and Kurt Suzuki to provide the bulk of the club’s power. Keep in mind, both Suzuki and Cust hit under 30 home runs last season and drove in under 100 RBIs. This wouldn’t be such a problem if they had the staff to back it up, but they are simply too young and inexperienced to be able to shoulder the burden that is the A’s offense.

The team will look to Justin Duchscherer to be their ace, even though he did not pitch at all last season. Behind Duchscherer, the team will rely on young arms like lefties Dallas Braden and Brett Anderson. To give an idea of how far away from winning the division the A’s will be, the team leader in wins last season had just 11. The team’s main bright spot is their closer, Andrew Bailey, who took home Rookie of the Year honors. In order for him to do his job, they need to get him a lead and that may be difficult this season.

Prediction: Mariners in an upset. It’s scary to imagine how good that Hernandez-Lee combo could be.

You can reach this staff writer at slindauer@theeagleonline.com