Letters to the editor

The harms of a university-subsidized student Metro discount

I am disappointed to see that in the March 1 staff editorial, “This Metro trip: Courtesy of AU?” the staff of The Eagle wishes to obtain a desired WMATA transit discount through the means of a subsidy from the university’s funds.

As we all should know, money just doesn’t come out of thin air. If a subsidy were to come from WMATA, they would just be offering a lower rate, cutting into their profits but not actually supplying more than a meager amount of money to apply the subsidy. I understand that WMATA cannot do this though, given their trouble finances, among other things. But should AU ever decide to subsidize student transit, the school would need the money to come from somewhere in order to provide the funds—real money. Where would the money come from and how would AU work to make up that lost cost? The same way any business would: raising prices somewhere. So, in theory, we can all pay $100 less a year to ride the Metro, but we can make up for it in paying an extra $100 a year in tuition.

Of course those who travel the most would benefit from this, but those who don’t travel daily would lose money. The vast majority of students would be losers. I’m very pro-student discount—but not from AU.

Justin Bloodgood Class of 2013

Interfaith Council calls for campus-wide tolerance

AU’s Interfaith Council has noticed a disturbing trend lately. Various student organizations have been targeted for their worldviews or social action, we assume by individuals or by other groups.

Most recently, AU Rationalists and Atheists put up posters for their first general meeting, and within a day or two, most if not all the posters were torn down from dorm announcement boards and other sites. It’s our understanding that AURA has been forced to put up with this intolerance on several occasions. And while AURA is not a faith group, they are a student group based on a well-defined worldview, which I believe is something to be respected.

A member of Students for Justice in Palestine has recently informed me that they have had similar experiences with disappearing posters.

This is not so different from the stories we’ve heard of an individual following another student from a faith group and challenging his beliefs endlessly with derogatory terms and accusations. It’s not so different from disrespectful messages and swastikas drawn in spaces shortly before a sacred service is set to take place.

I believe there is a hidden tension on this campus, a weed of disrespect. I like to think that most people are respectful here, and yet repeatedly I see grown adults being intolerant, self-righteous or downright obnoxious. I do not think that we all have to get along or agree, but there is absolutely no good reason for the level of mutual disrespect that we witness, whether it’s between individuals or groups with different worldviews or political beliefs.

Interfaith Council plans to continue to help students, staff and faculty bridge their differences to reach mutual respect and appreciation. We have already informed AU’s chaplains of our concerns, and we are ready to help mediate any conflicts between individuals or groups. I can be contacted personally at al3281a@student.american.edu.

Anne K Lynch Class of 2012 SOC and CAS