Eco film festivals paints District venues green

Many people are feeling a little lost about what movie constitutes a “must see” after all the Oscar anticipation and excitement. They are ready to take a break from heavier films but don’t exactly want to see the latest romantic comedy. The Environmental Film Festival in the Nation’s Capital provides the perfect medium of thought-provoking, inspiring and motivating films.

In its 18th consecutive year, the Environmental Film Festival began Tuesday, March 16 and will run through March 28. According to the festival’s Web site, there will be over 150 films featured at various venues around the District, ranging from the expected local theatres to museums, libraries, universities and embassies.

“The Environmental Film Festival has become the leading showcase for environmental films in the United States,” the festival’s press release states. “Presented in collaboration with over 100 local, national and global organizations, the Festival is one of the largest cooperative cultural events in the nation’s capital.”

The festival is not only for the most hardcore of environmentalists; instead it’s geared toward many different types of viewers. In addition to the numerous documentaries being shown, there will also be animated, experimental and children’s films to attract all ages and types of crowds.

According to the Environmental Film Festival’s press release, “[the festival] features cinematic work from 30 countries and ... 66 premieres.”

A prominent theme of the festival is the relationship between food and the environment. Beginning filmmaker Jane Sablow’s much-anticipated three short children’s films, “Wishful Thinking,” “Cravings” and “Smart Machine” expound on the topical subject of how to get children to eat healthy foods.

“In ‘Wishful Thinking,’ a young girl wishes for fruits and vegetables on her birthday,” a Washington Post article describes. “In ‘Cravings,’ a little girl tries desperately to grab her (surprising) favorite snack on the table. And in ‘Smart Machine,’ an ominous vending machine yields an interesting snack.”

Sablow, like many other featured filmmakers, will also host a discussion after the films that touch on topics such as her inspiration for the films and the varying and complex techniques that went into creating them.

Those environmentalists who are intrigued by the ocean or who have marine biologist aspirations will likely be pleased by “Turtle: The Incredible Journey.” The film chronicles the epic journey of a turtle’s trip across and back the North American Ocean.

“Turtle: The Incredible Journey” will be screened March 21 at AFI Silver Theatre in Silver Spring. Tickets are $10 in general, $9 for seniors, students and military and $6 for kids 12 and younger.

Other especially interesting and anticipated films include “Nora!” and “Garbage Dreams.” The film “Nora!” follows Nora Pouillon, a local D.C. restaurateur, as she establishes the country’s first certified organic restaurant.

Touching on a very different subject, “Garbage Dreams” provides a much more international look at environmental issues. “[Garbage Dreams] highlights the recycling methods ofZabbaleen, a sustainable garbage collecting organization in Cairo, according to the festival’s press release.

There is no excuse not to see at least one of the many relevant and provocative films. The majority of films and corresponding events are free. For more information, as well as a complete listing of show times and locations, visit the festival’s Web site at www.dcenvironmentalfilmfest.org.

You can reach this staff writer at ostitilis@theeagleonline.com.