Kansas to have strong showing in NCAA tournament

What has already been an intriguing, surprising and eventful college basketball season has two weeks left before the intensity heats up and the country turns its head towards the NCAA Tournament.

This year, unlike last year, there will be much more debate about who deserves a number one or two seed for the big dance. On top of that, there will be even more debate about who will make the exclusive Final Four.

Despite all the arguing that will take place, there will be one conference that reigns supreme. For the first time in a long time, the Big East Conference will not have a frontrunner for the National Championship. This year, the Big 12 is the undisputed top conference and will provide some of the most intriguing frontrunners and bracket busters in this year’s tournament.

Kansas, after briefly losing the No. 1 rank, has been the most consistent and powerful team in the nation. Its only loss was against Tennessee University in Knoxville, Tenn. Other than that one blemish, they have gone unscathed and have clinched a share of the Big 12 regular season title. Going undefeated since then is impressive, considering the league boasts the nation’s highest rating percentage index.

Sherron Collins has been one of Kansas’ best players, averaging 15 points per game. He leads the deepest bench in the nation and is one of the most experienced players, especially since he was the sixth man off the bench for the 2008 National Championship team. Alongside Collins is Xavier Henery, who is averaging 14 points per game. He is a candidate for Freshman of the Year, but has tough competition since he is going up against John Wall of the University of Kentucky and his outstanding play.

Even teams weaker then Kansas are still strong competitors. The school’s neighbors and rivals to the west have put together one of the most surprising seasons of the year. Kansas State University has dropped only four games this season and has climbed its way to sixth in the nation. They could easily improve on their current ranking with quality wins in the final four games of the season and the conference tournament.

The Wildcats can attribute most of their success this season to the impressive play of its backcourt tandem of Dennis Clemente and Jacob Pullen. Both players are averaging over 16 points per game and have been around long enough to weather any storm they may face in the tournament.

Following the teams from the Sunflower State is a slew of possible contenders. Texas University, who, at one point in the season, was ranked top in the nation after winning 15 in a row, has slipped as of late. That said, they still have the potential and capability to beat any team in the country.

Other teams from Texas that could make a run deep into March include Texas A&M and Baylor, who both will more than likely finish with more than 20 wins on the season.

The biggest surprise from the Big 12 could be the same team that made a remarkable run to the Elite Eight last year. The Missouri University Tigers return with the same stifling defense and intensity that caused so many teams problems last year in the tournament. With only two seniors on the team who struggle to contribute, the team might face trouble with experience the deeper it goes in the tournament.

Despite all of the success from these teams, Kansas still remains the most viable title contender. The team has just too much going for them. They have a good mix of young and old players, a head coach who has been there before and knows how to win a title, a brutal conference schedule that has prepared them well for any challenge and a large fan base that can make any game hard for an opponent.

Yes, there will be surprises in the tournament, as there always are. And yes, normal power conferences will have teams ready to try running the gauntlet that is March madness. Don’t be surprised though when “Rock Chalk Jayhawk” rings out from the Kansas student section on April 5 in Lucas Oil Stadium.

You can reach this writer at sports@theeagleonline.com.