DOUBLE EXIT — DC9 hosts a number of small and upcoming bands such as Exit Clov (pictured). The U Street venue offers a bar-like atmosphere with the benefits of a live-music venue, creating a space unique to the downtown D.C. area. Because of its obscurity and hidden location, DC9 can maintain the exclusivity of a high-end bar and popular draw for a number of late partiers and rambunctious musicians.

DC9 draws in bands as life of afterparty

After living here long enough, one may think that D.C. is a jaded city. From packs of business-suited men rushing through McPherson Square to business-suited students stressing about their internship on Capitol Hill, the District can begin to feel a little formal. Even options for music seem limited — unless you go looking.

Everyone knows that if you’re looking for music, you head to Chinatown’s Verizon Center for huge acts and U Street for those big-but-not-too-big artists who want to give audiences an intimate experience in a larger venue. Don’t be fooled though — U Street has more to offer than just the regulars like Black Cat and the 9:30 club. Tucked away on Ninth and U Streets, eclipsed by the behemoth Nelly’s Sports Bar, sits DC9, a spot waiting to be discovered.

Part restaurant, part bar and, most importantly, part music venue, DC9 is a two-level space that caters to the 18-to-21+ crowd, beckoning them with loud music, smaller bands and the occasional dance party.

The downstairs of DC9 is the perfect staging ground for acts to come. The narrow space features a long bar and several booths and tables, where the bass from upstairs can be heard pumping through the walls and roof. Crashing glass is a common sound from behind the bar. This may be cacophonous to some, but to lovers of the music and bar scene, shouting over a plate of buffalo wings is the perfect way to begin an evening of music.

Behind the curtain at the back of the first floor is the entrance to where the real music happens. There are booths and a bar upstairs as well, but the main attraction is the stage. Only a foot or so off the ground and taking up at least a quarter of the room, the stage brings the bands so close to the audience that band members can reach out and touch fans just an arm’s length away.

The low level of the stage sometimes makes it hard to see for latecomers, but at DC9, it’s not about physically seeing the band, it’s about the vibe pulsating through the room. The crowd usually masses there to find something new. And besides, the venue has large-screen projectors for anyone who insists on seeing images of the performers set right next to the performers themselves.

More than just a venue for concerts, DC9 is also a popular after-party spot for music kids pouring out of the 9:30 club just down the street. Disc jockeys spin tracks from the stage and invite attendees to join them — if they’re not already dancing on the tables. And once in a while — a very lucky once in a while — bands playing at the 9:30 will stop by after the show to party with their fans.

DC9 may not be the best place to see one’s favorite bands, but it certainly is one of the best local places to discover new ones. Among the bands slated to hit the tiny stage are Exit Clov on Feb. 25 and Astronautalis on March 6.

Exit Clov aren’t necessarily new to the music scene, and they’re not strangers to D.C., either. In fact, the new-wave, indie-pop group hails from the District itself. The five-piece band composed of twin sisters Emily and Susan Hsu (vocals, keyboard, guitar and violin), Aaron Leeder (guitar), Brett Niederman (bass) and John Thayer (drums) opened at the Black Cat last fall to an audience that barely filled the huge space. This month, though, they’re hitting DC9 for a show that promises to pack the venue and give a performance inspired by D.C. Their MySpace says it all: “We write songs inspired by the madness of our city. Tunes of resistance, ennui and societal idiocy — music for 21st century kids.”

Astronautalis — also known as Andy Bothwell — comes to D.C. from the West Coast; Seattle, Wash., to be exact. A quirky though low-key act, Astronautalis combines dazed shoegaze rock with hip-hop, indie and electronica to produce the perfect background to his low and monotone but surprisingly compelling voice. Weaving gripping narratives through all his songs, listeners will find themselves entranced by his hypnotizing beats. Although he toured Europe with Tegan and Sara in late 2009, Astronautalis will be better paired at DC9 with rapper P.O.S.

Tickets are rarely sold out, and entrance is cheap at the door. If you’re anxious to check it out, you can find information and buy tickets at their Web site, www.dcnine.com.

You can reach this staff writer at kcasino@theeagleonline.com.