A MOVEMENT TO REMEMBER — During the month of February, events and exibits throughout the District are honoring Black history month.

Library of Congress, AU clubs among black history month event hosts

Movement honored by local venues

People tend to have a love/hate relationship with the month of February. They cringe at the hearts, flowers and pink that take over the stores for Valentine’s Day, yet shamelessly enjoy the chocolate boxes. People love the pounds of snow the month seems to bring while hoping spring would hurry up and melt it all away. Whatever one’s feelings about February, one thing is for sure: the month presents an incredible opportunity to take in some culture while celebrating Black History Month. Though we might have been taken aback by the amounts of snow the District has delivered, it is no surprise that Washington, D.C. offers an abundance and variety of events in honor of the month.

Be sure to visit the National Archives, as the museum has dedicated its February exhibits and events to celebrating Black History Month. There will be free events, screenings, discussions and special exhibits all month long. On Wednesday, Feb. 17, the National Archives, National Museum of African American History and Culture and Tuskegee Airmen, Inc. will come together to present “A Salute to the Tuskegee Airmen,” honoring America’s first African American military airmen.

In addition to a panel discussion, the event will feature a screening of “Wings for This Man,” a short film made in 1944 by the Army Air Forces narrated by Ronald Reagan, the National Archives Web site says. The event will take place in the William G. McGowan Theater at 7 p.m.

The Library of Congress is also offering an impressive array of exhibits and events for Black History Month, all encompassing this year’s theme of the History of Black Economic Empowerment. On Feb. 26, the Library of Congress will put on the symposium “The NAACP: Reflections of the First 100 Years.” Last year marked the hundredth anniversary of the NAACP, and the event will be dedicated to looking at the remarkable progress the organization has made as well as what the future will hold in store for it.

However, if you are looking for something a bit more off the beaten path, head to Madame Tussaud’s “Black History Discovery Trail & Scavenger Hunt.” According to the wax museum’s Web site, the exhibit “takes visitors on an educational and entertaining scavenger hunt, featuring more than a dozen wax figures of prominent African American icons.”

Just a few among the many wax figures include Oprah Winfrey, Barack Obama and Muhammad Ali. The exhibit made its debut Feb. 2 and will run through the end of the month. Especially noteworthy about the exhibit is that, unlike the others at Madame Tussaud’s, “Scavenger Hunt” is free.

If you don’t feel like venturing off campus, don’t worry. AU has prepared a month of special Black History events sponsored by a range of clubs and organizations, including the Black Student Alliance, Multicultural Affairs, NAACP and the Student Union Board. Though there are over 10 events scheduled, there are definitely a few you can’t afford to miss.

On Feb. 20, Experience DC, International Student and Scholar Services and Multicultural Affairs will sponsor “Road Trip USA — Exploring ‘Black Broadway,’” a daytrip where participants experience a guided tour of U Street, lunch at Ben’s Chili Bowl and a visit to the Smithsonian Anacostia. The trip is from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., and those interested in registering should email roadtripusa@american.edu.

The evening of Feb. 24 offers many great opportunities to take in some culture. One can head to the Tavern for “Jazz Café,” an evening of jazz by AU students and local D.C. musicians. If you are looking for something more academic, don’t miss the lecture “Things Fall Together.” The event is sure to be interesting and eye opening as Professor Keith Gottschalk and the African National Congress lecture on anti-Apartheid activists in South Africa.

You can reach this staff writer at ostitilis@theeagleonline.com.