US NEWS OLY-LUNARNEWYEAR 1 SE

D.C. celebrates Chinese New Year with parade, events

Mid-February may not naturally lend to thoughts of dragons, parades or firecrackers, but it’s time to broaden your horizons as the District celebrates Chinese New Year.

The 2010 Chinese New Year, which according to the Chinese Zodiac is the year 4708 and Year of the Tiger, began Feb. 14 and the celebration usually lasts for 15 days. Chinese New Year (also known as “Lunar New Year” in the lunisolar Chinese calendar) is considered to be the most significant of traditional Chinese holidays.

Washington, D.C., is certainly taking part in the celebration of the Year of the Tiger. Most noteworthy is the Chinese New Year festival sponsored by the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association (CCBA), Chinatown Revitalization Council (CRC) and Chinatown Chamber of Commerce.

“The festival includes folk dances, musical bands from various genres, local high schools, cultural exhibition and a parade,” according to the Chinatown Chamber of Commerce’s Web site.

The festival will kick off with the Chinese New Year parade on Feb. 21 in Chinatown. A large parade is a staple of the Chinese New Year celebrations, no matter what the location. Parades are typically packed with the color red, which is believed to fight off evil spirits.

The D.C. parade will run from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. and is sure to draw a large crowd. According to the Chinatown Chamber of Commerce’s Web site, the event usually draws about 30,000 viewers to the streets.

The parade is sure to be quite the spectacle, especially around 3:45 p.m. when a five-story high firecracker will be lit. There will also be continuous traditional dancing, such as the lion and dragon dances, as well as plenty of kung fu and other cultural activities according to the Chinatown Chamber of Commerce’s Web site.

Though the Chinatown parade is likely the grandest of celebrations, there are many other festivals and special events in honor of Chinese New Year around the District. Montgomery County Public Libraries are hosting numerous Chinese New Year related events and programs through Feb. 21. For complete details, visit www.montgomerycountymd.gov/library.

Another option is the National Geographic Museum’s exhibit “Terra Cotta Warriors: Guardians of China’s First Emperor.” Though the exhibit is not in direct correlation to the Chinese New Year, it is definitely worth investigating for those interested in past and present China.

The Terra Cotta Warriors are considered to be the eighth wonder of the world, according to Susan Norton, director of the National Geographic Museum.

“The Terra Cotta Warriors are one of China’s great treasures that can travel,” Norton said. “It’s the next best thing to traveling to China. For those who have seen the warriors in China, this exhibit gives you the added experience of standing next to them, eye-to-eye. From this vantage point you can appreciate their amazing detail and the great challenge of restoring them.”

Amanda Osborn, a sophomore in the School of International Service, has celebrated this event with her family for numerous years.

“I’ve always celebrated Chinese New Year with my family,” Osborn said. “My favorite thing about Chinese New Year is how it brings families together. There’s good food, family togetherness, tradition, culture and of course, lai see, which are red packets with money inside.”

You can reach this staff writer at ostitilis@theeagleonline.com.