Communication and Congress 101

Congress is in trouble. And it’s not just Democrats, either.

In fact, the 2010 midterms are the least of Congress’ problems. They’re in trouble as an institution of democracy. As the largest and arguably most important elected body of the U.S. government, they’re suffering a communications crisis of epic proportions.

Really, it’s even more than a crisis. They’re on the brink of a communications catastrophe.

The cause is simply public perception. Believe it or not, the 111th Congress has already accomplished larger, more significant legislative victories than almost any other Congress in history. But the public perceives them as a failure, because they haven’t communicated it well.

Let’s see, they kicked off the year by granting equal pay for equal work. Pretty reasonable. Then they expanded health insurance for millions of needy children. They’ve also protected about two million acres of American wilderness, expanded national service programs like AmeriCorps, broadened power to enforce financial fraud, protected credit card consumers, regulated tobacco, created the successful Cash for Clunkers program and granted emergency aid to Haiti.

Oh, and they rescued the U.S. economy by passing one of the most comprehensive and successful spending bills in history.

So, why does everyone still hate them?

Their polling numbers are literally at rock bottom. Only a meager 18 percent of the country approves of their work, while 78 percent disapprove. Here’s some advice:

Dear Congress,

This isn’t going to be some minor fix. You’re not just “in a rut.” You won’t be able to weasel your way out of this one, and regardless of the outcome of this November’s election, these problems won’t just go away.

I think you need to do three things.

First, make President Barack Obama’s “question time” with Republicans a regular event. Make it law. Or make a resolution. Either way, make it happen. Often.

See, question time didn’t just allow Obama to score points (although he certainly schooled House Republicans). It allowed for an open, unobstructed, rational and civil debate between our president and our legislators. This communication needs to happen more often, and the public needs to be able to see it.

Transparency builds trust. Question time is transparent. Thus, question time builds trust. See the connection here?

Second, campaign on your own accomplishments, not someone else’s.

Look at the stimulus bill. Numerous Republican members of Congress are out bragging about the new infrastructure and jobs that “they” have created, then coming back to D.C. and railing against the very stimulus bill that created those opportunities—and that they voted against. Hypocritical much?

For that matter, campaign on your own accomplishments and not on other’s supposed “failures.” Bad-mouthing your opponents doesn’t make you look good; it makes you look petty. And that’s part of what’s keeping Congress painted in such a negative light.

Finally—and this is a real revelation, folks — learn to communicate. Whether it’s staffers, your press team, or all you Congressmen yourselves, you’re doing an absurdly bad job at talking to us, the people you represent.

Send us letters. Get online. Explain, objectively, what bills are about (and if you don’t know, get someone who works for you to do it). Take 30 minutes a day and answer your office’s phones yourself, instead of giving it to an intern. Never, ever use ghost tweeters or ghost bloggers.

Does all that sound hard? It’s not. You’ve got it easy, while millions of Americans are struggling to pay their bills.

Work harder. Do better. Communicate.

Alex Priest is a junior in the School of Communication and Kogod School of Business and a liberal columnist for The Eagle. You can reach him at edpage@theeagleonline.com.