HERE SHE COMES — AU alumna Jen Corey beat out 42 of her fellow contestants to place in the top 10 in the 2010 Miss America pageant. Corey is a 2009 graduate of the College of Arts and Sciences.

Miss D.C. Jen Corey takes top 10 in Miss America pageant

An AU alumna from the class of 2009 was a top ten finalist in the Miss America Pageant Saturday night.

College of Arts and Sciences graduate Jen Corey competed against contestants from all 50 states as well as the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico in the Las Vegas pageant.

Corey won the Miss District of Columbia title in July 2009, just two months after graduating from AU. That title enabled her to compete for the 2010 Miss America crown.

A panel of judges including singer Brooke White and conservative radio personality Rush Limbaugh chose 11 of the remaining 15 semifinalists. Another three were chosen by viewer votes.

“All pageantry aside, I want authenticity, a real girl,” White said during the contest.

The judges selected Corey as one of those 11.

Finally, the competitors themselves chose the 15th semifinalist. It was the first time in pageant history contestants had been asked to do so, according to host Mario Lopez. The girls chose Miss Oregon CC Barber, who erupted in tears but did not progress beyond the next round of judging.

During the pageant, Corey stood above much of her competition as one of the tallest girls on stage. She strutted down the catwalk with vigorous swinging of the hips during the swimsuit competition and graced the stage in a beautiful, floor-length black gown during the evening wear competition.

“Trying on [and] practicing in the dress and the swimsuit,” are the keys to avoiding “wardrobe malfunctions,” Corey said.

It was during the talent competition that Corey’s individuality shined through. Only one other contestant chose opera as her talent.

In a new gown — this one sweeping and deep blue — Corey sang the aria “O Mio Babbino Caro” from Puccini’s “Gianni Schicchi.”

Corey, who studied vocal performance at AU, has performed on stage before. She worked for the National Opera this year, when she was not enduring weekly mock interviews and daily fitness training. Despite her touching performance on Saturday, both she and Miss Texas — the only other opera singer in the semi-finals — were eliminated following that round.

Prior to running for Miss D.C. during her sophomore year at AU, Corey had never competed in a pageant, she said. Corey said her voice professor and musician-in-residence at AU, Linda Allison, encouraged her to audition.

“I never really thought anything was going to happen with it,” Corey said. “I went because I thought it would be a fun audition.”

For the Miss America Pageant, each contestant was required to raise $500 for the Children’s Miracle Network, a non-profit organization dedicated to serving children’s hospitals. This year, Corey raised over $12,000, placing her second among other contestants, according to the Miss D.C. Web site. That, in addition to the funds she accumulated for the charity during her time in the state competitions, brings her to a total of just under $20,000 raised in three years, she said.

Corey also worked with D.C. Goodwill as part of her platform on recycling. The campaign was called “Let’s Talk Trash.” A video of Corey demonstrating a unique way to go green by teaming up with Goodwill Fashionista, Gillian Kirkpatrick, can be found on The Eagle’s news blog at www.theeagleonline.com/newswire/.

Miss Virginia Caressa Cameron won the pageant. Cameron also sang during the talent portion of the competition, but her piece came from the movie “Dreamgirls.”

You can reach this staff writer at sparnass@theeagleonline.com.