Studying without Big Brother

With the placement of cameras throughout Bender Library, officials hope to reduce the outrageous number of thefts. Yet they must pledge not to abuse this extra surveillance.

In a logical response to a string of thefts experienced last year, Bender Library has installed 42 cameras to serve as a method of deterring and catching future larceny attempts.

To be sure, the purchase of these cameras — while debatable — is far from uncalled for. Although stealing is regrettably unpreventable, the number of library thefts that occurred last year could not be excused as trivial. In the 2008-2009 school year, 34 laptops were stolen from AU students within the building. Imagine if this amount of crime were met with no response. Studying in the library would have become a near impossibility, as students became too preoccupied with guarding their belongings to actually write papers.

Moreover, the installation of these cameras cannot be categorized as administrative waste — AU did not even pay for them. By qualifying for a grant from the Department of Homeland Security, Bender Library was fully covered for the expenses. Discouraging and potentially preventing theft at no cost? Sounds like a win-win.

Certainly, the potential for abuse of this extra surveillance exists. Many students have voiced concerns that cameras could be utilized for an Orwellian purpose: checking on what books students are reading or what sites are being looked at on the Internet. Admittedly, the involvement of the Department of Homeland Security — nominally or otherwise — only adds to these concerns, and The Eagle believes the library officials need to address why this project qualified for this department’s grant.

Still, University Librarian Bill Mayer and fellow Bender Library employees have shown no predisposition to threaten AU students’ right to privacy. Indeed, it is in large part because of this that The Eagle can comfortably favor the installation of these cameras. Nevertheless, it is still imperative to stress the importance that this vital freedom remains protected and unabridged in the future.

Even though this new surveillance system decreases the likelihood of future theft, AU students should not use it as an excuse to disregard personal responsibility. No matter how many cameras are installed in Bender Library, only students themselves can completely ensure the safety of their belongings. If laptops continue to be abandoned in the library by their owners — even if it is mere minutes at a time — thefts will continue to occur.

Clearly, the new cameras in the library are a net positive. Last year’s thefts needed to be appropriately responded to and these measures do not overreach their mandate. Concerns about student privacy are well founded, but future prospects look promising. Big Brother does not watch Bender Library, and if officials continue to demonstrate restraint and responsibility, he still won’t.