Bethesda opens to frugal diners

After spending a month or so away from school and re-acclimating ourselves with home cooking, we blissfully forget the long lines and lack of diversity at TDR. Yet we are now two weeks into the new semester and once again back to campus food reality. Even if your excitement for yet another trip to Chipotle or Z-Burger is beginning to wane, don’t despair.

Anyone ready to shake up their dining routine is in luck. Look no further than the Bethesda Chevy Chase Restaurant Week. This special event, which happens only twice a year, will start Jan. 25 and run through Sunday, Jan. 31.

The Bethesda Chevy Chase Restaurant Week presents the perfect opportunity to gather a group of friends, explore Bethesda and test out a variety of different and interesting cuisines for a cheaper than usual price.

Most participating restaurants are offering both fixed lunch and dinner menus. Prices for a two-course lunch will vary from $12 to $15, and dinner rates will range from $25 to $30 for a three-course meal.

According to the Bethesda Chevy Chase Restaurant Week Web site, “participating restaurants will showcase pre-fixed gourmet cuisine items created exclusively for this biannual event. They will offer a two-course lunch and/or a three-course dinner, plus each restaurant will also offer its standard fare at regular prices.”

There are 39 Bethesda restaurants taking part in the Bethesda Chevy Chase Restaurant Week, and the event will certainly not be lacking in diversity. There is a type of restaurant for everyone. Not only will the classic pasta fans be pleased, but even the most adventurous of global foodies.

In addition to the perhaps more expected Italian and American cuisines, there will also be the opportunity to test out Indian, Lebanese and Cajun and Creole style meals.

The event is put together by the Greater Bethesda Chevy Chase Chamber of Commerce as well as The Washington Post and is sponsored by the Montgomery County Conference and Visitors Bureau and the Bethesda Urban Partnership, according to the event’s Web site. Restaurant week offers students who couldn’t otherwise afford to go out a chance to dine at some of the area’s finest restaurants.

Bethesda is only a short Metro ride away and many of the restaurants are in walking distance from the Bethesda Metro stop. No matter what your plans are for the rest of the month, do not let this great opportunity pass you by. Bring good company, whether for lunch or for dinner, and enjoy some of the best restaurants Bethesda has to offer.

For more information about Bethesda Chevy Chase Restaurant Week and for a list of all participating restaurants, visit www.b-ccrestaurantweek.com.

You can reach this staff writer at ostitilis@theeagleonline.com.