Live the green life at The Reef’s ‘Big Bash’

Concerned about the environment, but tired of the usual eco-friendly initiatives? Not into lobbying or letter writing campaigns? Try something a little more hip and spend next Thursday evening dancing, socializing and eating organic food — all for the environment.

Located at The Reef, a restaurant in downtown Adams Morgan, the Big Green Bash is co-sponsored by The Reef and Live Green, a Washington, D.C., company that strives to promote eco-friendly lifestyles and businesses.

Live Green’s Big Green Bash will be held Nov. 19 to celebrate Live Green’s fall membership campaign, the Big Green Boost. The evening is also dedicated to the launch of Live Green Chicago, the Midwest version of D.C.’s branch, according to Live Green’s Web site.

The event will feature a brand new dance floor, deejay booth and a heated roof deck.

“We will also have delicious food, drink specials all night, and a free drink for the first 200 tickets sold!” according to the event’s press release.

The idea for the Live Green organization came together over a meal at Java Green, another local eatery dedicated to healthy living and the environment. The founders of Live Green thought there needed to be an organization to connect consumers and businesses sharing the goal of living green.

Live Green partners with local businesses such as Sticky Fingers, a vegan bakery in Columbia Heights, and Flow Yoga on P Street, to offer members discounts and special coupons to these and other local businesses. Membership to Live Green is only $13 a year.

“We’re dedicated to providing our members with simple, straightforward tips on living green, helping new green businesses flourish and investing in sustainable development projects,” according to the group’s Web site.

Live Green has added innovative D.C. spots to their list of sponsors and created incentives to attract new members. After recruiting three new members, current members are awarded a $20 gift certificate to either Sticky Fingers or Java Green.

The possible prizes don’t end there. For recruiting new members, one is automatically entered into a raffle to win other prizes, from a 90-minute Swedish massage from Tranquil Space or a flight anywhere in the continental United States from Green Earth Travel, according to the Web site.

The Reef, host of the Big Green Bash, is one of the most eco-friendly restaurants in the District. It only serves organic fruits and vegetables, fair-catch seafood and free-range meats and poultry, part of the reason it is part of the event, according to Live Green’s Web site.

“With their rotating menu, The Reef showcases vegetables and fruits of the season, grown without toxic pesticides and fertilizers,” it says.

“Thursday night is going to be great,” said Trish Ward, a sophomore in the School of International Service and member of Live Green. “I think Live Green does an amazing job shining light on new and interesting eco-friendly spots around D.C. I am looking forward to celebrating with them.”

Don’t miss out on getting tickets to the Big Green Bash this coming Thursday at The Reef in Adams Morgan. The event will start at 6 p.m. and run until 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $9 for Live Green members and $13 for non-members. However, if you become a Live Green member beforehand, your ticket is free.

For more information on the Big Green Bash, as well as Live Green in general, visit their Web site at www.livegreen.net.

You can reach this writer at

ostitilis@theeagleonline.com.