AU should be a smoke-free university

Life is good inside the AU bubble. We have our own idyllic world here in the suburbs of D.C., secluded from the hustle and bustle of the city and yet close enough to still be a part of it. Just walking onto the quad before an early morning class is enough to make any student realize what an oasis we have here. To be able to have an arboretum as our campus is an incredible privilege. However, it has become clear that far too many students do not recognize this.

If you look closer at the flowerbeds, bushes or bases of tree trunks around campus, you’ll notice cigarette butts littering the ground. In fact, take a look at the LA Quad and the steps of Ward while you’re at it. There are cigarette butts everywhere. This isn’t just littering, it is detracting from the natural environment that is AU. And that’s not okay with me.

I was shocked in my first few days on campus by how many students smoke cigarettes. Walking into or out of any building on campus, you’re greeted by a cloud of smoke that follows you until you’re either well into the building or far from the smokers’ perch. Where I’m from — outside of Philly — smoking just isn’t that prevalent. In fact, it’s more of an anomaly than it is a rule. A smoker who lights up outside of the Wawa or Ice House in my town is far more likely to get a couple of angry looks than they are to find another smoker looking for a light. So, to come to American and be greeted by a cloud of noxious, cancer-causing fumes whenever I leave my dorm, get out of class or go to dinner at TDR, is just not okay with me. I have made a personal choice not to smoke because I have no desire to die prematurely from any one of the numerous cancers that smoking causes. As much as I respect smokers’ personal rights, I just don’t think that their right to smoke should outweigh my right to breathe clean, fresh, carcinogen-free air. This is why AU should implement a smoking ban on campus grounds.

Now, I don’t propose that we ban smoking completely on AU property, like it has been done for all Pennsylvania public schools. A specific area (or areas) should be designated for smokers who want to light up on campus. However, these areas should be well out of the way of the quad, dorm entrances and class buildings, so that those who choose not to smoke will not be affected by those who do. Hopefully this policy will help wean AU students away from cigarettes. Seriously, though, to all of the smokers out there, pick up a paper — from the 1960s. Everyone knows that smoking kills. It’s time to be responsible for your own health. AU has free smoking cessation programs for students, faculty and staff. Take advantage of this resource. Hopefully, one day there won’t be any smokers. Until then, a smoking ban would keep us all healthy and preserve our campus’ natural environment. A smoking ban: it’s green; it’s progressive; it’s totally AU.

Erin Cady is a freshman in the School of Public Affairs and an AU Affairs columnist for The Eagle. You can reach her at edpage@theeagleonline.com.