SINGING THE BLUES — Uruguayan singer Susana Anseimi is one of the many talented troupe members who will be performing at Teatro De La Luna’s 12th International Festival of Hispanic Theater. The festival will run from Oct. 13 until Nov. 21 at Gunston Middle School in Arlington, Va.

Theater stars glow at Luna

The fall season is inevitably upon us, and the quintessential American autumnal activities, including hayrides, searching for Halloween costumes and drinking pumpkin spice lattes, are more than abundant. However, why not spend next weekend doing something with a bit more international flair?

The perfect opportunity awaits right around the corner, at the Gunston Arts Center in Arlington, Va. The theater will host the 12th International Festival of Hispanic Theater starting this coming weekend.

The festival, put on by the local non-profit Teatro de la Luna, runs Oct. 13 until Nov. 21. Teatro de la Luna strives “to provide the Washington capital area — both its Spanish-speaking community and its English-speaking community as well — with a source of high quality theater as seen from a Latin American perspective,” according to their Web site.

Through programs and events such as the upcoming International Festival, Teatro de la Luna aims to bridge cultural divides and foster understanding of Latin American culture in the District.

The first play of the festival is “El Insomnio Americano,” running from Oct. 15 to Oct. 17. The performance will be put on by the Saulo García Inc. troupe and stars Saulo García himself.

“El Insomnio Americano” is a comedic portrayal of a Columbian man, García, and his time in Miami amongst thousands of other Latin American immigrants. Despite their grand hopes and dreams of a great life in America, the play showcases the harsh realities they encounter.

“More a partially ad-libbed monologue than a scripted play, ‘El Insomnio Americano’ is by turns hilarious, emotional, touching and, in the end, true to life,” the festival’s press release stated.

The play has received a fair amount of coverage, as it has already been performed in many off-Broadway theaters across the country. García is an acclaimed actor who has won several awards, including New York’s First Olympics of Humor in 2003, the press release said.

Despite his award-winning talent, García is most known for co-founding Los Marinillos, a Columbian musical/comedy company in 1983. The troupe reached remarkable fame in Columbia in their 15 years together.

In addition to hosting the Saulo García Inc. troupe, the International Festival of Hispanic Theater will also highlight comedy and music troupes from six other countries, including Argentina, Uruguay and Venezuela.

The Grupo TeaTeatro troupe from Argentina is putting on the drama “Abanico de Soltera (Fan of a Single Woman),” in its first U.S. performance, between Oct. 22 and Oct. 24. According to the press release, “the play is an homage to Federico García Lorca, recreating his magic universe through an encounter with the ghosts of his characters.”

The play is highly anticipated, winning Best Show and Best Actress in the VII Festival de Teatro, “Rosario em cena,” in 2007, as well as Best One-Person Show in the Festival Iberoamericano de Teatro, “Cumbre de las Americas,” in 2005.

Tickets for all of the plays being performed at the festival are $25 for students and seniors, $30 for regular admission, $10 for children and free for children younger than 4 years old.

The festival is also offering a discount of $10 if you buy three tickets for three different shows. Other extra features include a post-performance discussion after Friday night shows, as well as free live English dubbing, since all the shows are performed in Spanish.

Theater Two of the Gunston Arts Center, the host of the festival, is located at Gunston Middle School and Community Center at 2700 S. Lang St. in Arlington, Va. and is accessible from either the Crystal City or Pentagon City Metro stops.

For more information or to make reservations, call 703-548-3092 or 202-882-6227, or visit Teatro de la Luna’s Web site at www.teatrodelaluna.org.

You can reach this staff writer at ostitilis@theeagleonline.com.