Nick Swardson

Farts still prove funny

Many have seen Nick Swardson in one of his hilarious and extremely out-landish roles, like the awkward, friendly Bed, Bath and Beyond employee in “Click,” the “Dance Dance Revolution” pro and uncomfortable virgin in “Grandma’s Boy” or the awkward and flamboyant repeat offender Terry on “RENO 911!” We could pretty much sum up Nick Swardson as one awkward individual, and he loves to flaunt it.

In his new comedy album, “Seriously, Who Farted?” Swardson breaks out all the big guns — video games, (lack of) girlfriends and the true story about an old lady that he had a relationship with (“Grandma’s Boy” was not the first time). Swardson’s style of comedy tends to vary back and forth from the crazy events in his life to interesting opinions on things, using just the right amount of sarcasm mixed with complete seriousness — especially about the fact that he was determined to be a ninja when he was younger.

Part of the album’s charm is that Swardson spits out things you would not expect. It’s shocking to hear the dorky little man discuss his experience getting a massage with a happy ending from an old lady or talk about how his girlfriend thought that the noises he made while playing video games were the sounds of him shooting and producing hardcore gay porn.

Swardson is one of those comedians whose expression can handle the transfer from stage to CD. He’s very emotive and enthusiastic, which is even funnier when he tells a story that ends in failure. And because he is so expressive and tells so many stories about his life, by the time he’s done with his act you feel as though you know him.

By the end of the album, Swardson seems not necessarily a friend, but instead that awkward guy in high school who was an acquaintance with. Simply put, he’s that guy everyone would laugh at when he’d get his shirt caught in the door.

Anyone who has seen Swardson in one of his various and hilarious supporting roles and enjoyed his sense of comedy should definitely check out his stand-up. During his comedic act, it’s as if his entire act swallows up all the characters you’ve ever seen him do, and they decide to jump out whenever they feel like it during his act.

Whether it’s when he mimics the voices in his life or reveals the darkest secrets of his past, anyone in his presence can see that Nick Swardson is one complex, awkward and funny individual.

If you’re looking for something highly entertaining and different to listen to, Swardson’s specials often air on Comedy Central at night, or you can grab a copy of his new comedy album.

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.