SERIOUS STYLES — When Chris Rock pitched his idea for a documentary delving into the history and culture of African-American hair, no studio executives were ready to jump on board. After starting the project alone, however, HBO took the film under its wing — and made a good decision in doing so. Rock’s film takes a deep look into what people see as beautiful hair, all while entertaining viewers with his signature humor.

Comedian ‘weaves’ tale about hair

When comedic genius Chris Rock said he wanted to do a documentary about the history and culture of African-American hair, studio executives were not very supportive of the idea.

In an interview with The Eagle, Rock and fellow actor Nia Long discussed the motivation, struggles and triumphs that behind the making of “Good Hair.”

“The hardest part in doing the movie was actually getting someone to give me money to do it,” Rock said. “Executives wanted me to do a movie where I can make a huge paycheck ... ‘Good Hair’ was definitely not that. They wanted me to chase bad guys, have a fast car and a gun with a hot chick, which is all great, and I have nothing against it; it’s just that I get bored easily.”

Long, an established actress who is one of the many famous faces Rock interviewed for the film, empathized with Rock’s frustrations.

“Managers and agents didn’t see a vision,” she said.

Because of the lack of faith from production companies, Rock spent his own money on the first two days of filming. When HBO Films, the same company that collaborated with Rock in the Emmy Award winning “The Chris Rock Show,” got wind that he was spending his own money, they stepped in to help fund the rest of the documentary.

The idea of examining the sociological and financial aspect of the African-American hair culture was something that Rock always wanted to do. It was not until his 8-year-old daughter Lola inquired why she did not have “good hair” that he was motivated to finally start the project.

“It is a culmination of things in which Lola got this idea of ‘good hair’ ­— it’s every fairytale, every Disney movie,” he said. “It’s every beauty commercial on TV that depicts the girl with long, silky straight flowing hair down to the back that affects them more.”

In the film, Rock travels to Harlem, Atlanta, Los Angeles and even India to discover what society deems as “good hair.” Directed by Jeff Stilson and narrated by Rock, the film features a number of celebrities giving testimonials, stories and commentary on their hair, as well as hair culture society’s opinions towards black hair and many other anecdotes. The documentary interviews a wide range of people from celebrities like Ice-T, Al Sharpton, Raven-Symone, Maya Angelou and Nia Long to many everyday citizens.

“It is a contemporary look of what we all go through with our hair,” Long said. “It is what black women talk about when we have lunch together, it is what other people wonder about when they see our hair. It takes a journey of black women’s hair and some of the choices we make as black women — the mystery behind it and the stigmas that come with our hair.”

Rock brilliantly explores the hair culture in a way that is both hilarious and informative. He covers a hair show in Atlanta that features styling battles between hairstylists. He visits India, the largest exporter of weaves and wigs, to discover the process of making them. He even visits the laboratories that create the famous chemical relaxer, the perm, which straightens black hair.

Educational and entertaining, Rock’s 95-minute documentary is full of laughs. But these laughs come not in a way that makes fun of the hair culture, but rather in a way that demonstrates Rock’s unique technique of storytelling. He explores how hair interestingly affects aspects of romantic relationships, sex and self-esteem among children and young adults.

One thing is certain: the viewer does not have to be black to see this movie. The viewer does not have to be interested in fashion or be a hairdresser. It is a learning experience for all cultures, and everyone will likely leave the theater with some new and interesting information. Rock himself has admitted to having a level of ignorance and curiosity towards black hair.

“The hair culture is like music, you hear it all the time,” Rock said. “But do you really know how to make it? Do you know who wrote it? Who produced it? Who did the instrumentals and keyboard and such?”

“Good Hair” hits D.C. theaters Friday, Oct. 9, and opens nationwide Oct. 23.

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.