Catholic Univ. goes ‘solar’ for greener campus

The Catholic University of America will install the largest solar-energy system in the D.C. metropolitan area, with over 1,000 solar panels on four campus buildings in November.

This addition to CUA’s power source comprises one part of a larger, campus-wide movement to gain greater environmental sustainability — an effort in which CUA still has a considerable way to go, according to CUA’s Director of Energy and Utilities Management, Brian Alexander.

By next year, the new solar panels at CUA will generate 350,000 kilowatt hours — about one percent of CUA’s total yearly energy consumption, according to Alexander.

“We gain by inches, but it works,” he said.

Sean Nelson, a senior in CUA’s School of Engineering, said the solar panels are a good start for CUA to “go green” and save energy.

“I think CUA is going to want to try and start a trend for the rest of the schools in the city,” Nelson said.

AU, too, is set to install solar panels on the roof of the new School of International Service building to provide part of its energy supply. The plans for the building have been in the works since 2006, and is scheduled to open in May 2010, according to AU Director of Sustainability Chris O’Brien.

The difference between AU’s solar array and the one at CUA is a question of financial ownership.

At the SIS building, AU will install, own and maintain the solar panels, according to O’Brien, whereas CUA will pay Washington Gas and Energy Services for the power it extracts from the new solar panels. Installation and upkeep of CUA’s solar panels will be done by WGES.

“The economics were good; the terms of the deal were hard to beat,” Alexander said.

WGES must take up the costs for maintaining the solar panels, so the only direct cost for CUA is the cost of the energy the solar panels generate.

On the other hand, the AU solar panels will be paid for entirely by AU, so there will be an up-front cost for them with a long-term payback, O’Brien said.

“At the end of the day, it’s a better financial model for the university to be able to own our own energy generation assets,” O’Brien said.

Another way CUA is decreasing its carbon footprint is by buying renewable energy certificates for 35 percent of its purchased energy, according to Alexander.

“I liken it to paying somebody to eat broccoli while you eat ice cream,” he said. “But energy consumption is a global issue, and we’re keeping 300 tons of carbon dioxide out of the air by doing [the renewable energy power purchase].”

AU participates in this initiative as well, and currently buys the certificates for the equivalent of 25 percent of its total energy, according to O’Brien.

Both universities are taking steps to gain Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certificates for campus buildings. CUA opened a new residence hall in January that was LEED-certified. Once the new SIS building is finished, AU can apply for its LEED certification, O’Brien said.

Jordan Rodondi, a sophomore in CUA’s School of Arts and Sciences, supports the decision to install the solar panels, she said.

“I think it’s good that they’re trying to conserve energy in different ways,” Rodondi said.

The environmental club has been doing various projects to raise awareness about the extent of CUA’s carbon footprint, such as petitioning the cafeteria to eliminate Styrofoam and to go “tray-less” on Tuesdays and Thursdays, according to Rodondi.

But this is not enough, according to Drew Veysey, President of AU’s EcoSense and a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences and the School of Public Affairs.

Veysey cited many initiatives taken by EcoSense at AU, like proposing the Clean Energy Revolving Fund to the Student Government. The fund is a self-regenerating fund for renewable energy projects on campus.

“[CUA] has a lot of catching up to do,” Veysey said. “A year ago, they didn’t even have recycling.”

Alexander also acknowledged CUA’s need for greater environmental awareness, giving it a B- for its current level of environmental sustainability.

“We have done a lot of things that make economic sense, but we need to do visible things that excite people and make them aware,” Alexander said. “We have a large room for improvement.”

You can reach this staff writer at mfowler@theeagleonline.com.