Thursday, May 16, 2024

AU plans for expansion

AU is in the preliminary stages of expanding its facilities over the next 10 years in order to accommodate its current and future needs.

The project, called “Campus Plan,” is defined on its Web site as the “roadmap” that details proposals and objectives to build upon campus facilities.

The current Campus Plan, which included the development of the new School of International Service building, will end mid-2011, said Penny Pagano, director of community and local government relations.

A meeting on Sept. 29, where the upcoming Campus Plan initiative was considered, discussed the need for additional housing, athletic and recreation space, said University Architect Jerry Gager.

In spring 2009, Vice President of Finance and Treasurer Donald L. Myers chartered a team of 12 to prepare and oversee the expansion plans, Gager said. The members are “a very representative team,” he said, with people from many of the university’s divisions. Over the summer, a list of the campus’ needs were outlined and analyzed.

The Campus Plan team determined that 835,000 square feet were needed for growth over the next ten years — including academic buildings, housing, administrative services and athletic/recreational facilities, according to Gager.

AU is projected to have a 13,600 student population by 2020, compared to the current 10,407 population, according to data presented during last week’s meeting. The numbers include undergraduate, graduate, law school and “other” students. AU has requested to build 500 additional apartment-style suites, according to the report. Additionally, the report outlines requests for expanded dining options, additional gym space, more faculty offices and an alumni center.

Sam Marx, a graduate student in SIS, said he thinks expanding AU to accommodate its growing population and needs is a positive thing.

“While it seems like there’s adequate space for the most part, a lot of times when I’m on campus I feel cramped and surrounded by people constantly,” Marx said. “Many times when I want to find a quiet corner to do some reading, no such place exists.”

How the project will be financed is yet to be determined.

“We’d like it all to be donations, but that rarely happens,” Gager said.

However, he noted that the Kogod School of Business expansion was funded entirely by donations.

Additionally, due to the size limitations of the campus, some existing buildings will be altered to suit AU’s future needs, Gager said. For example, the old SIS building will not be left unused.

“[There is the] opportunity to convert it, to remold it to accommodate additional faculty offices,” Gager said.

William Barry, a senior in SIS, said he has experienced problems in class due to the growing AU population.

“I don’t think the school has enough facilities to accommodate students,” Barry said. “The classrooms are too few and aren’t properly set up for classes in most cases ... Class sizes are increasing, so should the classrooms.”

A plan will be submitted in June to the D.C. Office of Zoning for approval, Gager said. Due to AU’s residential location, a force comprised of 30 AU “neighbors” will be consulted for feedback.

“It’s a dialogue we start with the neighbor to move forward,” Pagano said. However, AU’s plans are too premature to ascertain how AU and its neighboring community will respond to the future expansions.

“There’s no plan to react to,” Pagano said. “And there won’t be for a while.”

You can reach this staff writer at srudnick@theeagleonline.com.