Two states, OneVoice

Student groups talk Middle East

AU’s OneVoice club, a group seeking to promote a two-state solution to the Israel/Palestine conflict, launched their affiliation with J Street U by meeting to discuss future plans with the nationwide group’s director, Tammy Shapiro, Monday, Sept. 21.

J Street U, a national student-based group advocating for a peaceful solution in Israel and Palestinian territories, is a college campus manifestation of J Street, a lobbying group in downtown D.C. J Street U has several launch programs in universities and colleges around the country. The recent event at AU is one of the first, according to Shapiro.

The details of J Street U’s affiliation with OneVoice are yet to be decided, according to Lauren Barr, the Student Board secretary of J Street U and president of AU’s chapter of OneVoice.

“The relationship [of OneVoice with J Street U] is in its developing stages,” Barr said. “[J Street U’s] goals fall perfectly in line with OneVoice’s in that they advocate for a two-state solution.”

The meeting began with discussion led by OneVoice student leadership and a call by Vice President of Students for Justice in Palestine and junior in the school of School of International Service Nadia Osman to reach out for more participation. After this, Shapiro spoke about the power of youth in politics and the shape of the J Street U movement.

“This is pretty unique as far as OneVoice events go,” Barr said.According to Barr, events generally are more active and less discussion-based.

At one point in the evening, Kyle Linhares, a junior in the School of Public Affairs and Co-Founder of AU’s OneVoice group, asked what Shapiro envisioned as J Street U’s relationship with OneVoice.

“[J Street U and OneVoice] have some overlap in what we do but also some differences,” she said.

The discussion with Shapiro was the second of OneVoice’s events on campus this semester. The first, on Sept. 9, involved speakers from Israel and Palestine, their stories and why they support the organization, despite their conflicting backgrounds.

Barr said she originally started the OneVoice club at AU in the spring of 2008 as a chapter of the international organization by the same name. According to Barr, the organization was located mainly in the Middle East with Israelis and Palestinians, making AU’s chapter the first in the United States.

“I was inspired because as a freshman I did an honors overnight at American University and I went to a OneVoice event that was happening on campus,” Barr said. “They invited an Israeli and a Palestinian speaker to come talk about their work, why they believe in a two-state solution, what they thought were the prospects of peace and the majority opinion of both Israelis and Palestinians, which was that they needed to progress with negotiations towards a two-state solution.”

OneVoice is one of many AU groups concerned with the Israel/Palestine conflict, and Barr said it often collaborates with related organizations. Last April, the club joined with Students for Justice in Palestine and AU Students for Israel to organize a showing of the parody film “West Bank Story.” Barr said the showing attracted over 120 viewers.

AU Students for Israel President and junior in the College of Arts and Sciences, Ayal Chen-Zion, said his organization supports AU’s OneVoice chapter in all of its events.

“We are excited to work [with all of the Israel related groups on campus],” Chen-Zion, who had attended Monday’s event, said.

J Street U recently launched a new Web site with information on the purpose of the club as well as photographs and blog entries from members. AU’s OneVoice plans to contribute to J Street U’s new Web site, which can be found at www.jstreetu.org. AU’s OneVoice plans to contribute to this site, Barr said.

You can reach these staff writers at news@theeagleonline.com.