President of NCAA dies of cancer at 67

NCAA President Myles Brand died Wednesday from pancreatic cancer, at the age of 67.

Brand was the first former university president to head the NCAA. As president of Indiana University, Brand gained notoriety for firing Coach Bob Knight. While NCAA president, he focused on putting academics ahead of athletics, and hoped to shape student athletes.

"I had the pleasure of working with Myles Brand when I was employed at the NCAA. I know firsthand about the wonderful impact he had on intercollegiate athletics and higher education," AU Athletic Director and former NCAA employee Keith Gill said. "He was a terrific individual and a tireless advocated for students. He will be sorely missed."

The NCAA did not release any details about Brand’s replacement and are unsure of when they will have one, according to a report from the Associated Press. The president of the NCAA oversees the implementation and maintenance of rules and regulations for all official collegiate sports. There are 23 male and female sports under the jurisdiction of the NCAA, including basketball, football and baseball.

Brand is survived by his wife, Margaret, and a son, Joshua, from a previous marriage.

You can reach this staff writer at slindauer@theeagleonline.com.