'Nunchucks' outplay bands at Black Cat club

The Black Cat looks like it would be a dark, garage-like room, but the inside is more reminiscent of a classic bar, equipped with pool tables, a jukebox and a cigarette machine. Bands play at the Black Cat on a low stage, as if they were an extension of the crowd. It was a Sunday night, so there were only a few clusters of people, but the bands made up for the emptiness through their originality. The entire night was a mixture of visual and auditory experiences. Even the bathroom defied expectations with leopard print stalls and black walls. The only thing to disappoint those who attended last week's Loose Lips, Drink Up Buttercup and Nunchucks concert were the bands themselves.

The first band to take the stage was Loose Lips. The vocalist of the group, Donny Potter, had a deep, clear voice reminiscent of Morrissey from The Smiths. But it was not Donny who stood out. It was the bassist, Jeremy Cassano. He was as unique as his left-handed, six-string bass guitar. More than just your typical stoic bassist, he danced around with more confidence than a lead guitarist, which led to frequent giggles from the audience, amused to see him strut around on stage. Cassano displayed unbelievable amounts of energy to the point of jumping up and down, but not even his antics made up for the lack of stage presence from the rest of the band. It was apparent that they lacked live experience, and it almost ruined the quality of the music. If practice makes perfect, the group can hopefully learn to create energy in the room instead of draining everyone in the audience. They are playing in D.C. again on Sept. 17 at DC9.

Drink Up Buttercup, the second group to perform, is vastly different from Loose Lips, and their performance brought more to the table. However, just listening to their music does not effectively translate their ability to combine visual and audio sensations. They use duct-taped instruments, a metal toolbox and a trash can to add to their noise. Their music is upbeat and catchy, but their stage presence is like watching zombies play. The keyboardist was slouched over -- never exactly showing his face, and the musicians made jolted exaggerated movements. The most memorable part of the night was after most of their instruments fell apart. They got the whole audience, consisting of no more than 25 people, to participate when they played "Lovers Play Dead." They walked off the short stage with a tambourine and metal toolbox telling us to "stomp-clap-stomp-clap" to their song. Though the set started off a bit slow, it was a testament to their enthusiasm that a band could get that much participation and excitement from a small group of people on a Sunday evening.

New bands have been combining different techniques and concepts for a long time. The last band of the night, and definitely the best, The Nunchucks, did just this. They are the type of band that translates well on both stage and in your iPod. It is interesting how many different styles they encompassed in their overall look. Their wardrobe verged on preppy, but they defied expectations with a classic rock 'n' roll guitar and a punk sound and voice. Although nothing stood out like the bassist from Loose Lips or the escapades of Drink Up Buttercup, The Nunchucks provided a much-needed blend of all of the qualities you look for in a modern band. They were so enjoyable that the small crowd, aware of the fact that they had work or school the next day, even waited for an encore. When the concert was over, the Nunchucks made you happy to have attended the concert -- something that the former two bands couldn't do. The native D.C. band plays at The Red and the Black on Sept. 4.

When the concert came to an end, the members of all of the bands seemed to blend into the crowd as they played together. It was the first time all evening anything flowed together, but it was the type of surprising contrast that makes memories. The night, if not filled with talent, was much better than staying in on a Sunday evening, though one may not have realized it until the very end.

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.