Fall festival gives color to seasonal activities

Despite the presence of numerous fall festivals all over the District featuring the classic autumnal activities involving apples, pumpkins and leaves, the third annual Ganymede Arts’ fall festival certainly does not feel the need to fit in.

Running Sept. 18 through Sept. 27 in Miss Pixie’s Backroom Palace at 1626 14th St. N.W., Ganymede Arts’ fall festival will be a spectacle not to be missed, as local D.C. artists and performers will be taking to the stage.

Called the “Best Theatre Company” in Washington Blade’s 2006 and 2008 Best of D.C. guides, Ganymede Theatre is unique in its dedication to the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender experience, according to their Web site.

Further, Ganymede consistently strives to offer professional, high-quality performing arts ranging from dance and musical performances to poetry readings and art shows, according to their Web site. The theater company also selects art that will contribute to the overall social and cultural understanding for the LGBT population in D.C. and around the country.

This year’s festival is scheduled to kick off with an opening night gala starring Charles Busch. Busch, an author, Tony Award-nominated playwright and star of the movies “Psycho Beach Party” and “Die, Mommie, Die!” is sure to set the bar high for all acts that follow.

Many AU students and faculty are involved in performances, an incentive that should draw even more local and college viewers to the festival. Carl Menninger, the director of theater at AU, collaborated with Michael Baron of Signature Theatre to direct the play reading “Dysfunction spelled Backwards is... Family.” Starring NBC News 4 anchor Wendy Rieger, the play will be performed at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 2. The show includes many AU students in large roles, according to the festival’s press release.

The AU connection with the Ganymede Arts’ fall festival does not stop there. Ganymede Literary Curator John C. Bailey enlisted AU students to direct and star in a number of short play readings. For instance, “Bite My Shorts,” a compilation of LGBT play readings led by AU students, will start at 3 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 27.

An AU student will also be directing the play “Cemetery Plot,” which will premiere Tuesday, Sept. 30 at 7:30 p.m. and is scheduled to be followed by a reading of “Chicago Love Tapestry” by D.C. native Eric Powell at 9 p.m. the same day.

Though they may lack the involvement of AU students, there are plenty of other events to look forward to at the Ganymede Arts’ fall festival. Look no farther than the highly anticipated cabaret performance on Sept. 21.

This show will feature local jazz and blues vocalist Maureen Mullaney and two-time Helen Hayes Award winner Will Gartshore (“Urinetown” and “Assassins”).

Still not satisfied? Be sure to check out Rockin’ Women’s Night on Sept. 23. This will be an unforgettable evening full of smart comedy and lots of song. Rockin’ Women’s Night will showcase folk singer Hope Leigh Rollins and a singer new to the scene, Esmirelda.

LGBT comedy greats Kat Wilderotter, Joyce Rebar, Sampson McCormick, Zach Toczynski and Chris Doucette will also be sure to keep you laughing all night long.

For the complete list of scheduled events at the Ganymede Fall Festival and to purchase tickets visit www.ganymedearts.org.

You can reach this staff writer at ostitilis@theeagleonline.com.