Fair Housing Act protects students' renting rights

The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development is currently reaching out to college students to educate them about housing inequality under the Fair Housing Act and to assist those who may have been victimized.

John Trasviña, the assistant secretary of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity, part of the HUD department, said it is important for college students to know about the Fair Housing Act. It can protect them from potential housing inequity which can occur due to the "partying" stereotype attached to students, he said.

"If there is a house rule for noise of partying, that rule has to be applied across the board; to every resident of that apartment unit, it cannot be applied against just the students," said Pamela D. Walsh, director of policy legislation initiatives and outreach. "If there is a rule and it's only applied against students, that would be something that we need to look at."

The Fair Housing Act, enacted in 1968, has evolved over the years to protect individuals against discrimination regarding race, gender, the disabled and families with children, according to Trasviña. Although the Act does not specifically identify college students for protection, Trasviña said they can still seek help with HUD. Additionally, the law will continue to evolve and safeguard more individuals as the country evolves, Trasviña said.

"Fair housing and the housing issues are important to not only just the individual, but to families, to neighbors, to communities," Trasviña said. "And is something that is of critical importance in the 21st century as we look to reshape communities -- sustainable, inclusive communities -- that fair housing and equality and opportunity must be a part of that."

Students are typically renting or buying housing for the first time when they enter college and may not know their rights, Trasviña said. When college students do not get the apartment or house they were looking at, they probably do not know it was because of discrimination, which is more difficult to discern than an actual event, such as sexual harassment, Trasviña said.

Matthew Lebowitz, a senior in the School of Public Affairs, said while looking for off-campus housing, he felt he was being interviewed about his lifestyle as a college student, particularly how often he engaged in social gatherings.

"You get the sense that people aren't looking to rent to college students," he said. "The biggest problem is that if there are students looking at the same house as people who aren't, the students aren't going to get the house."

HUD is reaching out to educate students because it believes they will be the ones to help educate others in their communities. This is why it is important for them to know their rights, according to Trasviña.

Students should use HUD's resources to inform and protect themselves, Trasviña said. Consultation and help from the Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity Office are free, and if a student has a case, the office will attempt to conciliate the situation. If necessary, the office will take the case to court, Trasviña said. The ultimate goal is to get the victimized individuals housing, collect possible punitive damages and then publicize the case as a way of preventing further housing discrimination.

You can reach this writer at news@theeagleonline.com.