Ex-marine talks of military duty

Former reconnaissance Marine Sergeant Rudy Reyes discussed ways people can draw upon their inner potential to improve themselves at a Sept. 9 Kennedy Political Union event.

Reyes, who served two tours of duty in Iraq and one in Afghanistan, shared with AU students his belief that by improving one’s mind and body, a person can set a good example for others to emulate.

“There’s a hero that really lives inside us all,” Reyes said.

JORDAN COUGHENOUR / THE EAGLE
He was cast as himself in HBO’s mini-series Generation Kill, which features the story of marines of the First Recon Battalion serving in Iraq during the first 40 days of the Iraq War.

People seeking to maximize their mental and physical abilities must first become aware of obstacles holding them back, face them, and find a way to overcome them, Reyes said. They must stand up for themselves to make sure the factors that held them back before do not hold them back again.

The tools and methods people use to overcome those obstacles should then be practiced and repeated. For instance, people who want to become better students can practice using discipline and better time management to improve their study habits, he said.

Eventually, people who have attained high levels of mental and physical discipline will be able to use their talents to help others achieve discipline in these areas, Reyes said. He briefly demonstrated a meditative stance that involves bending one’s knees, and holding the position for progressively longer intervals of time as one becomes more accustomed to holding the stance.

Reyes served in Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan from 2001-2002, Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003 and Operation Iraqi Freedom II in 2004.

Reyes said effective leadership of soldiers during battle involves analyzing what you’re doing and making sure that what should be done is being done. A leader who cares for the needs and safety of soldiers under his or her command is a more effective leader than one who does not, Reyes said.

Adam L’Episcopo, who served in Iraq from 2006-2007 with the U.S. Army and held positions of team leader and vehicle commander, felt he could directly relate to the military leadership style Reyes believes in.

“Especially when he was reiterating that you have to put the soldiers you’re in charge of first, it’s completely correct,” said L’Episcopo, a senior in the School of International Service. “It’s essential if you’re in a position of responsibility to watch out for your soldiers, because no one else will. If their lives are in your hands, it’s your complete responsibility. If they die or get injured, then it’s on you.”

The next KPU event will feature Blake Mycoskie, the founder of TOMS Shoes, a company that donates a new pair of shoes to a child in need for every pair of shoes customers purchase. Mycoskie will speak about effective organizational methods that may be used to help communities in need during the event scheduled for Sept. 17 at 8:15 p.m. in the University Club.

You can reach this staff writer at hperlman@theagleonline.com.