Eagles split PL opener

The AU Lady Eagles volleyball team came into Lafayette, their first match of Patriot League play, with a three game win streak and made sure their winning ways would not end at the hands of the Lafayette Leopards.

American dominated the match, winning in straight sets, 25-18, 25-15 and 25-21. The victory lengthened their win-streak to four games.

The first set was closer than the final score would make it seem. The game was tied at thirteen before AU would take control. Kills from junior outside hitter Magdalena Tekiel, who finished the game tied for a team high of seven kills, helped American go on a 6-0 run to take the first set from Lafayette.

AU did not trail the Leopards at any point in the second set. The closest Lafayette came to taking the lead was when the game was tied at one. The third set had the Eagles in total control until the end of the game where Lafayette went on a 6-0 run, while AU was just a point away from putting away the match. A service error by Lafayette stopped their run and gave AU the victory.

American ended their road trip with a game against Lehigh. The Mountain Hawks ended American’s streak with a 3-1 victory. AU managed to keep each set close but strong blocking from Lehigh may have been the difference, as Lehigh out-blocked AU 10-4.

The first and second sets were each close as there were a number of lead changes throughout each set. Lafayette took advantage of some late-set errors by AU, which put the Eagles on the losing side of the first two sets.

Things turned in the Eagles’ favor for the third set, as they were able to jump out to an early 7-1 lead. After getting off to a strong start, American would not give up the lead for the rest of the set. The fourth set of the match looked to be going in AU’s favor, as they took an early 11-6 lead. Lehigh went on a stretch run to overtake the lead and win the set 25-22.

AU looks to get back on the winning track Tuesday, as they take on Morgan State at home in Bender Arena.

You can reach this staff writer at slindauer@theeagleonline.com.