Chasama brings film lovers to NYC

Interested in the film scene beyond D.C.? Want to take a weekend trip up the East Coast? If so, start getting excited for the chashama Film Festival’s “Festival of the Worlds” in New York City, beginning Oct. 22.

The festival will run for four days and feature over 70 socially-conscious films, according to the festival’s press release.

Only in its sophomore year, the festival is already generating a large amount of hype.

“The enthusiasm and response to this year’s festival has been overwhelming,” Festival Director Rick Kariolic said in a press release. “We have experienced many growing pains while overcoming obstacles to make cFF ... the unique international event it is today.”

This year, cFF is making a conscious effort to appeal to younger filmmakers and moviegoers. For instance, they launched “Shanece’s Compass,” the festival’s blog written by recent graduate from Boston University’s College of Communication, Shanece Taylor. The goal of the column is partially to provide a new perspective to older moviemakers, but more to inform and instruct the youth film community. The blog also highlights film previews, interviews and festival updates. “Shanece’s Compass” can be viewed on Twitter, Facebook and MySpace.

The chashama Film Festival will present films heavy with a vast array of political, cultural, philosophical, thought-provoking and inspirational messages. It is scheduled to screen films from England, Germany, Australia, Canada, Spain, Taiwan, Norway, Italy, France, Belgium, China, Columbia and Israel, according to a press release.

Highly anticipated films include “Marathon Beirut,” “Pause Replay,” “Ein weites Feld” and “One Hit Wonder.” These films explore a multitude of locations as well as topics — “Marathon Beirut” showcases the success of the 2007 Beirut Marathon despite the country’s political turmoil after the 2006 summer war.

Less political, but certainly just as thoughtful, is “Pause Replay.” This film uniquely examines issues of memory and perception through the love story between a camera and a camcorder.

On the other hand, the comedy “One Hit Wonder” will be ideal for moviegoers looking to have a less intense cinematic experience. “One Hit Wonder” follows a middle-aged, laid off stockbroker as he follows his dreams of becoming a rock star.

The film selection may certainly be impressive, but so is the opening planned for the chashama Film Festival. On the first evening, filmmakers will be able to take a sunset boat cruise provided by the New York Water Taxi.

“The expected guests of revered independent filmmakers from around the globe will be welcomed to New York City with food, music and entertainment behind the backdrop of the unforgettable Manhattan skyline during sunset,” according to the press release. In conjunction with this, the start of the festival will align with the grand opening of cFF Final Cut Lounge, located at 679 Third Ave. between 42nd and 43rd Streets. Final Cut Lounge will be where filmmakers and festival-goers will be able to relax and recharge throughout the festival.

The lounge will offer food, drinks and unlimited Internet access, as well as a gym and stretch area with masseurs, according to the press release. The Final Cut Lounge will be open every day from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. Along with being a trendy spot to rejuvenate, the lounge will also host ongoing art and performance exhibitions.  

All of the festival’s films will be screened at The Black Box Theater at 217 East 42nd St., between Second and Third Avenues.

You can reach this staff writer at ostitilis@theeagleonline.com.