MAXED OUT — The film adaptation of part of Tucker Max’s best-selling novel “I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell” is set to hit theaters Friday, Sept. 25. Matt Czuchry plays Max (right) while actors Jesse Bradford (middle) and Geoff Stults (left) play his friends Slingblade and Dan. Max has become famous for his sexually-explicit and hilarious stories of drinking and debauchery. He went on a nationwide tour to promote the film in various cities.

‘Beer’ serves fresh laughs to Max

GRADE: B Most people are too afraid to share the ridiculous and embarrassing events that have happened during their lives. Tucker Max is certainly not one of those people, and now audiences across America can see his hilarious antics on the big screen.

Max became an instant sensation and later a New York Times best-selling author when his tell-all book, “I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell,” came out in 2006. His honest and sometimes disgusting stories have built him an extensive fan base. From drunken adventures to sexual encounters gone wrong, Max leaves nothing to the imagination.

After writing a screenplay with Nils Parker, Max’s hilarious new movie, “I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell” hits theaters Sept. 25. Based loosely on one of Max’s infamous tales, “The Austin Road Trip” story, the film is sure to make any audience member laugh.

Max tells the story of a bachelor party adventure he went on with his two friends. While searching for an infamous strip club, the group finds itself in more trouble than expected — and, of course, all of it can be blamed on Max.

An unpredictable string of events take place, leaving the audience shocked and wanting more. One scene in particular will either make viewers squirm or scream — but no matter what, they will leave the theater laughing.

Some might say the storyline of the film closely mimcs the movie “The Hangover,” but the two films are very different. One notable difference is the prevailing credibility of Max’s storyline, despite how insane each scene in the movie seems. In the end, a sense of realism can be felt, which makes all of the events even more hysterical.

The film’s director, Bob Gosse, was given an extremely talented cast to work with. Matt Czuchry takes the lead role as Max, but actor Jesse Bradford steals every scene. Bradford plays one of Max’s best friends, known as Slingblade. Bradford’s portrayal of the pessimistic and sarcastic character is beyond hilarious, and is reason enough to see the film.

In casting for the film, Max and his film team purposely avoided A-list celebrities.

“We didn’t have to cast names,” Max said in an interview with The Eagle.

In order to have creative control over the making of the film, Max chose to produce independently of a major studio. This enabled him to have more input and a final say throughout the entire movie-making process.

“We wanted to keep control at every level,” Max said. “We made the movie we wanted to make.”

Max admitted that writing books is easier, but making movies is a better experience because he can see the reactions of the audience. He hopes to see more fan reactions in the future. “If this thing goes well, we already have three sequels lined up,” Max said. Lucky for him, the feedback from the film has already been positive.

Instead of doing one big premiere of the film, Max chose to do a nation-wide tour and premiere the movie in 31 cities across the country. Those who were lucky enough to attend a showing during Max’s tour know what the film has to offer. Those who have yet to see Max’s stories come to life should see for themselves — it will not be a disappointment.

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.